cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Inbox Emails

DaveWhitc
Hooked

Missing Inbox Emails

For 10 years or so I have had plusnet email accessing it via Outlook on my Windows laptop or (rarely) via the plusnet webmail site. There have been no problems. A few days ago all the emails in the inbox of my most used mailbox vanished. On the webmail site, the inbox just shows a blank space (though it still shows a count for the emails). On laptop Outlook there is just the message "We didn't find anything to show here". Test emails directed at that inbox, in recent days, don't appear either.

An other mailbox on my plusnet account seems to be working normally. I must confess the problem mailbox (begins with "d") had oodles and oodles of emails. Perhaps I have tripped some storage maximum. If I could get the emails back I would be happy to spend some time pruning them but, how to get them back? If they can't be got back then just having new emails visible would be a big improvement on where I am now but how to do that?

If anyone can give some hints I would be very grateful.

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 164

Re: Missing Inbox Emails

Is possible that your largest mailbox has been archived?

Email archiving

Plusnet has two email content archiving 'events'

1. Exceeding the Fair Usage Policy (FUP): This is invoked when the sum of the contents of all of your email boxes exceeds the 1GB FUP allowance. Users will have received warning notices for several weeks, having exceeded 75% of the FUP. After 2 warnings of having exceeded 100% of the FUP, mailboxes are archived to bring the FUP utilisation down below 100%. The act of archiving emails is recorded in the user's ticket history - see the PN tickets link below - notification emails are sent to the contact email address, as specified by the user, under their contact preferences in the account details - it is imperative that this email address is monitored at all times
  2. Mailbox not accessed for a while: After a period of not accessing a mailbox (it not being logged into) the contents are archived. An email is sent to that mailbox advising of the archiving action, after it has been archived. No record of the action is recorded in the ticket history

Archives are retained for 30 days. When making a request to unarchive emails, it is very helpful to inform staff which of the above archives appears to have been performed - it stops them looking for non-existent tickets!

Plusnet account holders can try to raise a restore request here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveWhitc
Hooked

Re: Missing Inbox Emails

Hi Townman. Thanks for your help.