cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking Spam Emails

Boz
Rising Star

Marking Spam Emails

I keep marking emails from a particular addressee as "Spam", but they still end up in my Inbox.   Is it possible for Plusnet's Webmail to filter these emails away from my Inbox?

Boz

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marking Spam Emails

I may be wrong here @Boz but don't you need to drop the offending email into the spam folder so that the system can use it for training.

It sounds sensible to me, as I think marking something as spam is nothing more than a UI filtering operation.

Boz
Rising Star

Marking an email as "spam" automatically puts it into the "Junk" folder.   What I'm really asking Webmail to do is to recognise spam emails, i.e. all emails coming from a particular addressee, before they reach the Inbox.   Perhaps it is beyond the capabilities of this particular system.   Other email service providers filter spam emails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, fair enough, but I'm sure Plusnet's webmail does that which is why you have the Spam folder in the first place. I'm not the best person to answer this as I use Thunderbird for my Plusnet email, but in fairness to them I've never had any spam either. But that's probably down to the fact that I don't use the email address out side of Plusnet.

Someone will come along with a better response soon enough you'll just need to hold on.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Boz, if you log in to your account on the member centre, you should be able to add a specific address to a block list in the spam tab of your mail settings Here (At the bottom of the list of options)

Although I'm afraid this wouldn't apply to a catch-all mailbox.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks Harry.   I've now added the addressee to the "blocked" list.

Boz

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

No problem, hopefully that gives you the desired result and stops any further emails coming through from that address or domain.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Marking emails as spam from within webmail should cause the spam profiling service to learn what is spam. However that takes time and lots of flaggings.

Black lusting needs to refer to the real from address and not the one displayed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Boz
Rising Star

Unfortunately, it didn't stop another unwanted email in my Inbox today.

Boz

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Boz 

Sorry to see you're still getting spam emails.

Does the sender's email address match exactly to the address you've blocked in Manage My Mail?

If that's the case could you PM me the full headers so I can raise this to our networks team to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for the response, Gandalf.   I can confirm that the address in the "Blocked Addresses" box is accurate.    There is one thing I've noticed:  where the system asks to "Choose Domain", it defaults to my one and only domain.   Underneath this is a check box for "Apply these settings to all my domains".   Since I only have one domain, I've ignored this box and assumed that the settings would apply to the chosen domain.   It may be worth checking this ambiguity with the networks team.

Boz

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks Boz, could you PM me the headers of the spam emails you're receiving?

I'll then raise a task with our networks team to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet