Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Redirects

littlejack
Dabbler

Mail Redirects

Hi everybody,

I am having a problem in setting up a Redirect. I have gone into "Manage My Mail "and then into "Redirects" and then to "Add a new re-direct." 

My problem is when I try to make an entry in the Box for "Re-direct name", no matter what I put in I cannot use! There are three guidance notes to help with this entry.The second and third are obvious but what does the first guidance note mean?

"This is the email address which the sender will choose in their email software"

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Mail Redirects

@littlejack agreed, it is a little confusing. What its trying to say is that it is the address for which mail, that you wish to be redirected, is being received i.e sent by other systems.

As to what goes in 'Redirect name' , it is the address before the @<accountname>.plus.com. So if you wish to rediect mail addressed to fred@<accountname>.plus.com you would enter fred in the Redirect name. Note that the redirect name can not be the same as an existing mailbox name or alias.

Does that help ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

littlejack
Dabbler

Thanks MisterW but I am afraid I still do not understand!

I want everything that comes into my Plusnet Inbox , no matter from where it originates to be redirected to my iCloud mail account.

Is the problem that my mailbox is named the same as the name in my email address? For example:

Mailbox name                Fred

Email address                Fred@<accountname>.plus.com

If that is what is causing problem then I can just rename the Mailbox

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that case you need to delete ( im not sure if you can rename ) the mailbox and then it will let you create the redirect. Think of it like this, when mail comes in for fred, it can either be redirected OR go to a mailbox but not both

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

littlejack
Dabbler

Hi again,

I had a long chat with Plusnet technical this morning and after some research they called me back and confirmed what you have said. You have to set up a redirect before you set up a mailbox! Talk about cart before the horse. In deleting the mailbox I assume I will delete its contents. However is this "deletion" only on my computer or on the Plusnet server or both? When I set up a new mailbox can I use the original email address I had before I deleted the mailbox?

Very frustrating!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

To be clear, you can't have a redirect and a mailbox using the same name. If you have a redirect for 'fred' then any mail to fred@<accountname>.plus.com will get redirected immediately and never get to any mailbox, even if the system would let you create one!

As to deleting an existing mailbox, if you are using IMAP to access that mailbox , then the mail is tored on PlusNets servers, so deleting the mailbox will delete any existing mail. If you've used POP3 to access the mail, then it will have been downloaded to your computer (and sent mail will also be stored there) so deleting the mailbox will not delete mail.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@littlejack wrote:

I want everything that comes into my Plusnet Inbox , no matter from where it originates to be redirected to my iCloud mail account.

Why bother with this level of complexity?

What is the difficulty with accessing BOTH the Plusnet mailbox AND the iCloud mail account from within the SAME email client?  You can then manage who you want to advise of your new email address.  Indeed many email clients (such as Outlook 365) facilitate auto-response rules, which you could use to...

1. Respond to people advising of your new email address and asking then to change their contact details
  2. To move received emails to your iCloud mail folders

Such an approach avoids the need to change the existing Plusnet mail configuration ... and the risk of you losing all of the emails.