Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping F9 email after leaving and SMTP auth

FIXED
timwj

Keeping F9 email after leaving and SMTP auth

Hi,

I have a good friend who was struggling with a slow 2Mbps ADSL, and has just moved to BT FTTP, he would have stayed with Plusnet but as PN do not do FTTP that was not possible.

He had been promised that he could keep is old F9.co.uk email addresses, and as he had been a customer for so long he would not be charged.

Now he has moved, incoming emails work, but outgoing do not. My guess is that Outlook needs to be setup to use SMTP weatherization, but I can't find any setting for F9 servers.

Can anyone help/ He has had a support ticket open for 2 weeks but is not getting anywhere.

Thanks

Tim

50 REPLIES 50
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Keeping F9 email after leaving and SMTP auth

Force 9 smtp server is relay.force9.net, he’ll probably need his username & password.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@timwj As you do not specify which 'Outlook' version you are  talking about (there are many flavours) the best thing to do is search for 'SMTP authentication Outlook <whichever version>'

John
timwj

Thanks for your help and replies.

We had a Teamviewer session last night and I setup up his emails with SMTP auth and everything is now working.

The odd thing is that this morning Plusnet support eventually got back to him via a phone call and said that it cannot be done! 

We just hope his email accounts are not now deleted.

Tim

jab1
Legend

Without being too cruel, some PN support people haven't been here that long - I bet some of them don't even know what 'F9' is.Smiley

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

To be fair, the early (couple of years ago) 'free' mail accounts couldn't use authenticated smtp since they weren't 'real' accounts. The later ones are now 'generic services' accounts and have full access

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

True, @MisterW , but if the OPs friend has 'only just' swapped, he should have a generic account?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

He will have.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Which free email accounts were they ? Those of us that were moved from Force 9 to Plusnet  did had proper email accounts, still in use today as no Plusnet alternatives were offered..

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Up until a couple of years ago, there was no formal method by which people could retain their email accounts when leaving PlusNet. There was a work-around which enabled mail to be retained but since this did not have a broadband account username/password it wasn't possible to authenticate to the smtp server. More recently a formal mechanism of the 'generic services' account has been introduced which enables authentication.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

I understand now, thanks....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Long ago there were different types of mail only accounts; free ‘Generic Services’ and chargeable ‘Plusnet Mail’ at £1.06 per month. The free ones didn’t have access to our outgoing mail server as it was deemed you’d have to pay for that through a ‘Plusnet Mail’ account.

I’m generalising when I say Plusnet Mail as there are also Force9 Mail and FreeOnline Mail accounts which behave in the same way at the same monthly cost.

In September 2018, we made our email and domain services free of charge which meant that we wouldn’t bill the £1.06 on the once chargeable mail accounts, but keeping our outgoing mail server still available.

Not long afterwards we made a change to the inherently free Generic Services accounts so that they’d now too have access to our outgoing mail server, levelling the playing field for everybody.

@timwj Could you drop me a PM with his username or ticket ID? I’m happy to take a closer look and make sure everything’s as it should be our side.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Petestrix
Hooked

I’d love to know how this was resolved.
I’ve been reliant on my f9 email for 20 years, so would love to be able to retain it, if or when I move to an FTTP provider.
Any guidance, gratefully received.
jab1
Legend

@Petestrix Easy - when/if you make the move, just contact PN by phone, advise them you are leaving, but wish to retain you email account. You may lose it for two or three days while the transfer goes through as it is a manual process, but that's all there is to it.

John
Petestrix
Hooked

Thanks John.
I’ve been told that’s possible if it is a plusnet email account but not if it’s a force9 email account.
Pete