cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imap and spam filter training query

Kwak
Rising Star

Imap and spam filter training query

At one point we could forward emails to train the plusnet spam filter. I'm GUESSING using the webmail would also do it (mark not spam / is spam etc is connect to the plusnet systems, well at least that's way I'd have it wired!).

I'm wondering ..  if I'm using imap and Thunderbird, and I see a mail that's spam .. and mark it as junk in TB then move to spam folder, does either of these "train" the plusnet spam filter? I'm guessing the marking just affects Thunderbird's spam filter, but does dragging into the spam folder train the Plusnet filter?

Also, same in reverse, does, in imap, moving a valid email from spam to inbox help "train" the PN spam filter?

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Imap and spam filter training query

@Kwak I'm not an expert on this, especially where you use IMAP, but my suggestion would be to check and move (mark) the mail  as required in webmail FIRST, before downloading to TB - I do this in a slightly convoluted manner as mail is first checked in MailWasher, and spam marked as such in webmail - BEFORE being downloaded to TB - seems to work OK that way.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I use. POP3 account with another provider and do my own spam filtering so don’t know. As one person’s spam is another’s useful information I would question whether every user has a programmable spam filter or whether there’s only one general filter for all users.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 A lot of people probably don't have 'a progammable spam filter', but a hell of a lot do - Mailwasher is very popular. From what I have seen on various forums, however, a great number of internet users don't know how to avoid spam, or how to deal with it when they get it. Most spam is obvious, but many still seem to download and open it regardless.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@jab1 

I was referring to the Plusnet email service.

I have a different way of reducing spam to an absolute minimum. I regularly check my email addresses against the https://haveibeenpwned.com/ database. If the address has been released to the bad guys I change it. It's a bit of a pain to do but I have a record of every address that I register with a website on an encrypted USB stick along with their unique password (I use KeePass), which just makes it just a housekeeping task. This is also a good opportunity to weed out the accounts that I no longer use.

I have not had to change an address for several years.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Get you, @Baldrick1 . I too use the 'haveibeenpwnd' site, but surprisingly, apart from one site (can't remember which) that got caught a few years back now, none of my addresses have appeared on there since it started. Thunderbird has highlighted Facebook as a possible victim, but as I no longer use it, I have ignored the warning, and not had any spam which could be linked to it - I used a unique mailbox to subscribe.

John
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

A bit off topic but if you have a gmail account you can use their + operator on your address when you want subscribe to something.

For example if your address is abcd_xyz@gmail.com and you want to signup to BritBox. When you complete the subscription process on the BritBox site you tell BritBox your email address is abcd_xyz+britbox@gmail.com. You'll still get your email(s) as expected but if any come from anyone other than BritBox you'll know the source of the leak and there's no limit to the number of times you can do this.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Mook - that has to be one of the most helpful posts ever!!  It makes the use of Gmail so much more viable...

Would be interesting to know if similar exists for outlook.com?

Building on your guidance...

• can one also send email as abcd_xyz+britbox@gmail.com ?
  • if one replies to an inbound mail sent to abcd_xyz+britbox@gmail.com does that appear to come from abcd_xyz+britbox@gmail.com or simply abcd_xyz@gmail.com

I use a unique email address for every party I engage with coupled with the Plusnet CATCHALL facility.  It works well, until it comes to replying or wanting to send using that email address.  Webmail very tidily supports IDENTITIES which do not disclose the real email address, however Outlook sends as the real mailbox address ON BEHALF of the unique address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@Townman - I see no reason why you can't send it's just a case of having a client that would support it. I use Mac mail but see an obvious way to do it, maybe it's possible their Web UI. Also, when you reply to your +XYZ that's where it comes from.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Should that read "...but do not see an obvious way..." ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Townman wrote:

@Mook - that has to be one of the most helpful posts ever!!  It makes the use of Gmail so much more viable...

I agree.  I've been considering starting to change my email addresses after realising that PN no longer allow email only accounts.  That would be to prepare myself for moving from PN after almost 20 years of satisfactory service following the recent announcements about email, FTTP shenanigans, and phone services, even though my landline is presently on copper with BT.  Along with many others, I've waited patiently for the FTTP product to become 'official' and then we get a half-baked 'soft-launch' which is still not the final product, so the waiting continues.

I use a unique email address for every party I engage with coupled with the Plusnet CATCHALL facility.  It works well, until it comes to replying or wanting to send using that email address.  Webmail very tidily supports IDENTITIES which do not disclose the real email address, however Outlook sends as the real mailbox address ON BEHALF of the unique address.

I do similar @Townman , but never use Webmail.  Using Thunderbird, if I really need to use one of those addresses to send I just add it as an Identity before replying, then when I hit reply the Identity is selected automatically.  That works for me because I don't often use those addresses for sending so relatively few Identities need to be created, and rather than set up a complete new Identity each time I often edit one which has been used for a previous 'one-off', although YMMV.

Kwak
Rising Star

So nobody seems to know Sad

Well I find their webmail clunky (and unless it's improved it could be very slow). IMAP in thunderbird is nice and fast.

The problem with POP3 is of course you don't see if anything nice is accidentally in the spam folder, though pop3 has lots of other advantages in a client like Thunderbird, but it's possible to use BOTH, like just on demand connect the IMAP account every few days to "check".

Given the imap is directly bolted into plusnets email system it would be very possible surely for it to be also linked to their spam training system, it's IMHO (not to be confused with IMAP 😜) a very obvious thing to do, as of course the only reason why most people using the system would move things in and out of a spam folder is due to it's spamminess ... or not.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

All depends on your spam settings in the user control panel under "manage my mail".  The Plusnet spam service will do exactly what you ask ... if YOU set up the options for it to do so.

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Exactly when did Google implement this?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Townman wrote:
  • if one replies to an inbound mail sent to abcd_xyz+britbox@gmail.com does that appear to come from abcd_xyz+britbox@gmail.com or simply abcd_xyz@gmail.com

I finally got around to doing some testing in this space.  I sent an email to me+fred@gmail.com and sure enough inbox reported that it was sent to me+fred@gmail.com - I did a reply from the Gmail web client, but could not find a means to stop the reply coming from (disclosing) the primary email address.  Responses disclosed (shared) me@gmail.com

Such great potential dashed in the detail - well that's Google all over for you!!