Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP Connections & archiving accounts

gree0115
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IMAP Connections & archiving accounts

I'm a PlusNet customer myself and I help another lady with a PlusNet account, she also uses her PlusNet email as her main email account.
On the 2nd July she had an email from PlusNet saying basically "you haven't logged in to your email account for 6 months so we are archiving your emails".
No warning, no notice, it was just done.
She uses Thunderbird with an IMAP connection and checks her emails most days, so I am curious to know why this has happened.
Is it a requirement that she has to login to the Webmail portal on a regular basis, but surely an email system should log an authenticated IMAP transaction taking place? This I would have expected would count as a valid login.
Also, to give no notice before archiving an account seems draconian. I'm an IT Manager myself and I would get "shot" if I did this myself, reasonable notice is always the order of the day.
Having had a chat with Tech Support this evening the 100Mb mailbox limit does seem a little on the small side these days
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: IMAP Connections & archiving accounts

We normally allow you 1GB of total mailspace so I'm not sure where the 100Mb figure has come from? Logging in via IMAP should be sufficient in order to keep an account active so I can only assume that:

• The mail was archived in error, or

• The notification email relates to an additional mailbox that the lady you help hasn't been using.

If a mailbox hasn't been logged into for 6 months then I think it's fairly safe to assume that it's not of the utmost importance? In the event that is, the un-archiving process is fairly straight forward.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gree0115
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Morning Bob,
A call to your technical support team on Friday evening, the chap I spoke to said it was 100Mb, I did think it was a bit on the small side.
The mailbox is her main one, she only has the one. She usually it at least every other day if not every day, using Thunderbird with an IMAP connection.
Hopefully it was just a one off error, although the log of account activity showed it was only logged into last November which was a little worrying as she does use it regularly.
I can get the you ticket if required, I'll PM you the username.
Cheers,
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: David
I can get the you ticket if required, I'll PM you the username.

Thanks, have just replied. I'm told that the archiving scripts were missing a few conditions so weren't picking up all login attempts. Those where customers use their full email address as the username when logging in were particularly prone.
Shouldn't happen again, but if it does then give me a shout.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵