cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you view additional inboxes

FIXED
Baz_J

How do you view additional inboxes

Webmail only allows you to view main inbox. Can anybody remind me how to login to view other inboxes? TIA

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: How do you view additional inboxes

Fix

Login to webmail with a username of <accountname>+<mailboxname> and the mailbox password ( set when you created the mailbox )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zeichen

I have been trying to access webmail for the 1st time. Firstly, following the instructions I had no luck entering just my username with password, eventually could only access it with full registered email address and password. I have then unsuccessfully tried to access the other "alias"mailbox - first using username+mailbox name, no luck, then full mailbox address.  Have tried all variations to get a registered alias through.  Know the pw is correct. On laptop works file but cannot get into webmail. Help please

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If its an alias, then that isn't a real mailbox and you can't log in using the alias name. Think of an alias as a forwarded to a real mailbox

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zeichen

Sorry, my wrong description.  It is another mailbox [not an alias]included in our user account, but not the main one.  As I said, the instructions day enter user name + mailbox name, but that doesnt work.  In fact just putting username and password wont open any mailbox. I have just set up the mailboxes on Outlook & found that if I used username + second mailbox, it was refused, I had to just use the user name only to get it working.  It is working perfectly downloading only the second box's  files.  but just cant find out how to use webmail for this second account.  Plusnet instns dont work.  Have run out of ideas. Hope you can help?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so they are 'real' mailboxes.

I have 5 mailboxes configured on my PlusNet account and I can assure you that the login credentials of accountname+mailboxname and the mailbox password is correct and does work for secondary mailboxes.

To be clear the username format is 'accountname+mailboxname' so for example is the account is bloggs and the mailbox name is joe then the username string would be 'bloggs+joe' ( the plus sign is required ). Note that the password must be the one that was sepcified when the mailbox was created, not the main account password.

Outlook is renowned for trying to 'guess' the correct settings and getting them wrong , even to some extent overriding settings that you enter.

Note that webmail uses the same username & password format so I'd suggest using that first to prove that the usernames/passwords are correct before going back to Outlook. I do believe that webmail will also accept the full email address of the mailbox as the username. I'm unsure whether that format can be used from a mail client as I have never had cause to try it.

TBH I have always used Thunderbird as my email client

zeichen

Thank you so much.  I signed into Plusnet first - not sure if that helped, then went onto webami.  Couldnt sign in with my full mailbox name, but got into mailbox +.  I know you wont believe me but I tried this serval times first before posting and wondered if signing into PLusnet first helped.  Otherwise cannot understand why it let me today.

Outlook is working OK, it didnt like me setting it as TLS but when I changed it to start TLS. worked OK.

Thanks again for all of your help.  Much appreciated!!

I use Thunderbird for my husbands email as I dont want them all appearing together, so use different email software.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and wondered if signing into PLusnet first helped

I cant see how that would make any difference, but I'm glad you now seem to have it working.