cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up more than 1 user on a Thunderbird account?

hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How do I set up more than 1 user on a Thunderbird account?

Quote from: HPsauce
What's wrong with Outlook 2000? Or have you lost the install disc and key?  Roll_eyes

I've used Outlook 2k for years, HP, and I love it for its simplicity and the fact that it has an integrated calendar and tasks facility. But according to Microsoft's tool for checking suitability of apps for Windows 7 etc, Outlook 2k just won't work with it. Sad  I'm also VERY reluctant to shell out ££ for anything else when there's the possibility of a free email client. IMHO, MS has had more than its pound of flesh from me over the years.... especially when it has come up with something so loathsome and frustrating as Windows 8 Angry ... but maybe that's a subject for a separate forum, so rant over Wink
hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@sprayxt... Thanks mate .. the links look like they should provide me with the guidance I need!
Just a thought: if I do go down this road, do I also need to do anything about the way the email identities are set up at the Plusnet server?  Cheers
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Using Identities will mean that you won't have to do anything to your current Manage Mail PlusNet setup. You can just leave it untouched.
That's RPM to you!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: hollytree
Just a thought: if I do go down this road, do I also need to do anything about the way the email identities are set up at the Plusnet server?

As RPM said, the answer is 'no - you don't need to change anything in MMM'.
However, hopefully to inform rather than confuse, you mentioned way back in Reply #2
Quote from: hollytree
Turning to the bit that's still got me really baffled ... the additional mailboxes. I think I understand what you are getting at but nowhere in PN's guidance can I find anything that describes setting up additional mailboxes in this way.. (ie bloggs+joe etc). Also, I checked my current email settings for my Plusnet account and it looks as though the default is styled in the following way:
bloggs @bloggs.plus.com

Then I have around 8 individual email addresses for the family all styled as per my original message on here.
I suppose what I need to know is this: precisely how do I go about changing them? especially when there is no dummies' guidance for people like me?

(the italicised mark-up in the quote is mine)
Plusnet's guide Email addresses explained covers the format of your default email address (with the Smith family standing in for Bloggs), and the means for accessing any additional mailboxes on the same account (where the '+' sign is used). With Thunderbird all mailboxes can be accessed on the same user, that's what I covered in my Reply #1. Aliases are also explained in that guide.
However, as stated in the opening lines of this reply,  there is no need to change anything in MMM to use multiple identities with Thunderbird as you appear to be doing in Outlook 2000.
David