Ron31

How do I get archived emails back

My emails have been archived , how do I get them back

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: How do I get archived emails back

Post a request in the topic pinned at the top of this board.

John
Ron31

Thanks John

Where is the pinned topic ?

jab1
Legend

At the top of the email board, as I said.

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Ron31,

I've raised this request to our NetOps Team and will update you via your account once we hear back from them.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jgalloway

Can anyone tell me how to request my emails to be unarchived please?

I don't understand what someone said - "post on the link at the top of this board".

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for your post @jgalloway

I've looked over your account and I can't see details on your account regarding any e-mails being unarchived.

Can you PM me any screenshots you might have that shows otherwise?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jgalloway

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.  My emails prior to Feb 2020 appear to have been archived - I no longer have access to them - so I want to know how I can get them un-archived/de-archived whatever the phrase is I would like to know if I can get them back.

Thanks,

Jane.

jab1
Legend

@jgalloway As @MatthewWheeler says he (as a PN staff member) can't see any notification that your emails have been archived, I'm wondering if they have been?

How do you normally  access your mail - via webmail or a mail client? How many do you think you have lost? Do you delete unwanted ones on a regular basis - and clear the 'deleted' folder afterwards?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@MatthewWheeler 

Email archive actions due to non-use of the mailbox do not leave a finger print in the user's ticket history.  This has been raised with @JW asking that this be reviewed so that support agents have unambiguous information regarding mailbox archiving.

Email archiving

Plusnet has two email content archiving 'events'

1. Exceeding the Fair Usage Policy (FUP): This is invoked when the sum of the contents of all of your email boxes exceeds the 1GB FUP allowance. Users will have received warning notices for several weeks, having exceeded 75% of the FUP. After 2 warnings of having exceeded 100% of the FUP, mailboxes are archived to bring the FUP utilisation down below 100%. The act of archiving emails is recorded in the user's ticket history - see the PN tickets link below - notification emails are sent to the contact email address, as specified by the user, under their contact preferences in the account details - it is imperative that this email address is monitored at all times
  2. Mailbox not accessed for a while: After a period of not accessing a mailbox (it not being logged into) the contents are archived. An email is sent to that mailbox advising of the archiving action, after it has been archived. No record of the action is recorded in the ticket history

Archives are retained for 30 days. When making a request to unarchive emails, it is very helpful to inform staff which of the above archives appears to have been performed - it stops them looking for non-existent tickets!

Users can lodge a request for a restore here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman I forgot about that - but the OP wasn't clear about when they last accessed the account?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

John,

They never are and it is never their "fault", though no archive activity ever happens out of the blue, but only after...

1. A user does not access a mailbox for the prescribed period
  2. A user fails to implement appropriate email history housekeeping
  3. A user ignores the (Plusnet mailbox) FUP warnings which start when the user has used 75% of the FUP
  4. A user does not see the FUP warnings because they are not monitoring the postmaster@account.plus.com mailbox
  5. Two weeks of further warnings once having exceeded the FUP have been ignored

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @jgalloway 

We don't archive a specific range of emails, it'd be either all or nothing if we were to archive your mailbox. I agree with @jab1 do you have your mail setup on a mail client which may have auto-deleted messages from the server?

@Townman wrote:

@MatthewWheeler 

Email archive actions due to non-use of the mailbox do not leave a finger print in the user's ticket history.  This has been raised with @JW asking that this be reviewed so that support agents have unambiguous information regarding mailbox archiving.

We're aware of this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf wrote:

We're aware of this.

Some are more aware that others!

@MatthewWheeler wrote:

I've looked over your account and I can't see details on your account regarding any e-mails being unarchived.

Can you PM me any screenshots you might have that shows otherwise?

Is not untypical of a support agent (not knowing this) looking for an email archive ticket (as in a FUP archive) in the context of a mailbox not used archive which does not leave an account level finger-print.  A user would have no evidence to show other than the "content archived" email in the unused mailbox.  Would a support agent go looking for the same?

That said, on rereading what Matthew wrote, he referred to no evidence of "UNarchiving" - which I read "missing" the "UN" and inferring no evidence of archiving.  All a tad confusing!  Jane has not indicated if this mailbox had previously remained unassessed, when emails prior to Feb 2020 disappeared and if it was only part of the contents which disappeared.

If this was just part of a regularly used mailbox, then we are indeed looking at something in the user space, either local archiving tools (as in Outlook 2016/9) or accidental deletion ... or a POP3 client removing stuff from the server after (say) 3 months.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Townman wrote:
Is not untypical of a support agent (not knowing this) looking for an email archive ticket (as in a FUP archive) in the context of a mailbox not used archive which does not leave an account level finger-print.  A user would have no evidence to show other than the "content archived" email in the unused mailbox.  Would a support agent go looking for the same?

We wouldn't be able to see the email they've received in this case, so if someone says their mailbox has been archived and we can't see an email notification, I'd expect we'd go prodding for more information then find out the mailbox was archived due to inactivity rather than going over the allowance.

That said, on rereading what Matthew wrote, he referred to no evidence of "UNarchiving" - which I read "missing" the "UN" and inferring no evidence of archiving.  All a tad confusing!

I think Matt's made a typo. Sorry for the confusion. I'll prod him with a big virtual stick. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet