cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entire email account archived

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Entire email account archived

For the past year Plusnet have emailed me every week advising that my combined email account is reaching 1GB and will be archived.  This is not the case, as I have advised Plusnet every week for the past three weeks. I have emptied my emails every week, leaving only around 100 messages in each inbox, as well as emptying the trash.  It is my archive which is full for reasons unknown to me, and which I cannot access. 

At 5pm today, my entire email account was wiped.  Every email, every folder, as I was working on important legal documents relating to an impending house move.  Also, travel documents for my forthcoming holiday.  Without the legal documents, the house move cannot go ahead as planned, and my wife and I may well be homeless by the end of the weekend.

I have phoned Plusnet on several occasion, and have been advised that there is nothing that can be done until next week.  I have asked for this to be escalated urgently, and been promised a callback on two occasions.  Guess what!  No callback!

Please restore my inbox for the past 21 days URGENTLY, as well as the miscellaneous folders and their contents.

20 REPLIES 20
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Entire email account archived

Hi there,

I'm really sorry for the issues you've had. I can see you've since rang us and we've restored your mail. 

If we've confirmed in the automated archive mail that you've reached the quota of 1GB across all of your mailboxes, then this will be the case, so are you checking all folders at webmail.plus.net or a mail client?

I'd recommend webmail as this would be what we're checking and if so then I would next go to Settings at the top right then clicking on the Folders tab, make sure all of the folders are ticked as some could be hidden from view.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi.  This is exactly what I have been querying with PlusNet technical dept. for weeks now.  How can I possibly have 1Gb of emails?  My day to day account has 70 emails in it, plus a few folders.  This totals about 13Mb. My wife's account is about the same.  I have a couple of other email accounts that I use for spam, but delete this every week.  It can not possibly come anywhere near 1Gb. I am pleased that PlusNet have restored my emails, and the house sale/purchase is still going according to plan. Please would you investigate how my account is showing 1Gb. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @SludgeIsland. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you on here and for the inconvenience that having your emails being archived has caused. I've had a look into this and the bulk of the emails are in two of your mailboxes. The ticket here shows the size of the emails in each mailbox.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi @EmilyD . Sorry, but the link you supplied only results in an error message.  I have checked all my folders.  There are 15 folders in my email account, and the largest is 3Mb.  The rest are shown as in Kb, they are so small!  That should use up about 45Mb, plus my inbox (about 70 emails so far, as I deleted everything older than 3 weeks, last week..  This should not result on the 420.992Mb shown.  What is clogging up may account?  My wife's mailbox is showing 446.196Mb, and likewise, should be much smaller.

I have been querying this with PlusNet for the past 4 weeks, and have on each occasion been promised a callback, but no callback ever came!  Then last Friday evening, my entire mailbox was deleted, but was thankfully reinstated on Monday.  

I have now stared using Gmail as my everyday email account, with a view to ending my PlusNet email account, but my existing emails are necessary, and cannot be transferred to another account. 

Please help as this is driving me mad!

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thanks @SludgeIsland. I'm sorry that it's not allowing you to view the message via the link. I can confirm that the amounts that you've given for yours and your wife's mailboxes are correct. It's odd that the emails aren't showing on your side - unfortunately, it's not possible for us to see where these emails are. If you'd like, I can raise a request to our Network Operations team to delete all of the emails in your account from before a specific date. If you'd like to go ahead with this, please let me know which date you'd like the emails deleting from.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi @EmilyD . No need to delete all emails before a certain date, as I do that regularly from webmail.  None of the emails in my inbox should be older than 28 days at present. The same applied to my wife's inbox.  If Network Operations could tell me the folders with the largest usage are, then I will delete older emails from those, if necessary.  Also, thanks you for getting back to me so promptly on this. 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @SludgeIsland, thanks for getting back to us.

Are you viewing your mail via a mail client (such as Outlook, Windows Mail etc) or via our Webmail?

If not already done so, I would advise logging in to Webmail to check your mail, you should also be able to view the size of each email from there to get a better idea of any emails that may be large in size and causing a large contribution towards the amount.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB . I think we are going round in circles now!  Yes, I am using a mail client - MailBird (Imap).  Yes, I regularly check and delete old emails using Webmail. Other mailboxes on this account are also checked and deleted regularly.  Adding up the total of all the emails in my mailbox comes to approximately 6932Kb (6.9Mb) mostly comprised of the just 69 emails in my inbox.  My other mailboxes are similar, or smaller So where are you getting 0.75Gb of data that my emails are taking up?  I suggest there is a fault in your system

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm sorry, I weren't able to see where you had confirmed you were accessing webmail, so I'm sorry if I missed that. 

Did you manage to do the steps @Gandalf earlier advised to ensure no folders were hidden on webmail? I know you have mentioned you had emails relating to a house move and legal documents, do you have any mail with large attachments saved in a folder that could be causing this?

If you have ensured all folders on webmail have been checked and still unable to see where this is coming from, let me know and I'll raise this further to see if we can get you any further info on this.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB . I have checked every email in all my folders, and there is nothing huge.  I haven't checked my wife's mailbox and folders - that's her business! But that was also showing almost half a Gb last week, as was mine. 

For info, I didn't get an email from PlusNet telling me I was approaching my limit this week.  However, perhaps if you would be kind enough to get this checked out, it might stop one of our mailboxes being deleted in future.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. I've checked your mailbox (the one we've said is 420.992 MB) and from what I can see there are 64 messages in there right now at a total of 4451666 bytes which is 4.45 megabytes.

Something doesn't seem right, so I've raised this to our NetOps team to get a breakdown of the mailbox size.

As soon as I know more I'll let you know which should be within 3 working days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf . Thank you for finally understanding the question.  Now you can see the problem!

At 13.01 today I received notification from PlusNet that the ticket had been closed.  I don't know if this has rectified the problem, and neither can I view the ticket, to see what action has been taken, as access to the the this has been blocked.

Please could you check the other mailboxes on this account because the same problem was happening to those as well. 

Many thanks.

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf . Please disregard the previous post. Apparently that ticket referred to restoring the archived emails, not the incorrect count on the mailbox.  I couldn't read it initially as I was logged into my broadband account, not my mail only account. Well, it is Sunday! 

The bit about checking the other mailboxes on the account still applies, though.

Many thanks for all your help with this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hiya, 

No problem, I'll see what they get back to me about your mailbox first before raising tasks about the others. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet