Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email only account

LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Email only account

Thanks Lauren for your prompt response.

I did set up the mailboxes exactly as originally, 3 mailboxes l**e, l**l and i**c. I also set them up with the same passwords as before.

Some mail is now arriving on my iPhone mail, but trying set up the addresses in Outlook 2016 on my laptop using the Control Panel route I successfully log onto the server but when it gets to send test message task I get "The server responded: 550 (the email address). In outlook the credentials window is popping up constantly. I have a gmail account that is working normlly in Outlook.

Does that information assist at all or do I need to wait a littke longer before trying again.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Outlook 2016 can be a pig to set up.  You MUST chose the "set up manually" option (use the tick box below the email address box).

When you think it is set up and you do not receive email you need to modify the server settings.  To do that in Outlook 2021 click the following...

1. FILE
  2. Select the mailbox in the top dropdown
  3. Click the Account Settings dropdown
  4. Select SERVER SETTINGS
  5. Check the server settings are correct
    • IMAP mail.plus.net port 993 TLS/SSL
    • SMTP relay.plus.net port 587 STARTTLS
    • Tick "My SMTP server requires authentication
    • Select "Use same settings as incoming server"
  6. Click NEXT

That should result in a test message being sent and received (if user name and password were correct).  If there is any doubt about user names and passwords, login to webmail, if successful, send a mail item to verify that use of the outbound server is permitted on your account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LoneBee
Rising Star

I have tried all those settings in Outlook 2016 but the imap server is rejecting my log in details - I am certain they are correct. I can log into webmail, with those details, and see recent, but not old messages there. When I send from webmail I gettting smtp error 535 authentification failed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is a really useful bit of diagnostics.

We have seen a couple of "email only account" cases recently where the wrong type of "email only account" has been configured - one which does not allow access to the SMTP servers.  In such circumstances, the user can log into the mailbox via webmail, but not send email.

@LaurenB / @TheMightyAJ  can someone please confirm that this resurrection is not a receive only free email account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for confirming @LoneBee, I have double checked with a colleague and have been informed that we will need to wait until the change to mail only has been complete before we are able to request that the mail is restored. I am sorry for the disruption this causes in the meantime.

@Townman/ @LoneBee I think the issue you're having with setting up the mail is likely due to the fact that the account is not yet correctly set up and is still waiting on being activated as Mail only. So would be best waiting until this is complete and then trying again to see if the issue is still there.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LoneBee
Rising Star

Thany you Lauren and understood.

Is there a way that I can get notified of when the process is completed, either here or by email? Or is it a case of just keep trying intermittently? Also would I need to start again from scratch in setting up the mailboxes when everything is fully set up?

Regards

Lone

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @LoneBee, we have had an update on the task this morning to advise the change has been actioned.

The mail to you default inbox should be restored as part of this but please let me know if this is not the case.

I have now requested mail to the additional mailboxes be restored and will update you once I have been informed this is done.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LoneBee
Rising Star

Hi Lauren,

I can confirm that I have received the emails confirming completion of the process of setting up the email only account and all 3 email addresses have now successfully been set up on Outlook 2016 and are now working all all my devices.

Thank you for raising the ticket for retrieving the old pre 1st Jan 2022  emails, hopefully they will come through in due course, I will come back if the don't.

Thank you for your assistance in sorting out the problem 🙂

Best Wishes

Lone

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me, and confirming.

I have been advised the the mail for the other being restored has been actioned so you should have these soon if not already.

Just let us know if you have any further queries!

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LoneBee
Rising Star

Thank you again Lauren,

I confirm that emails have now been restored on all accounts.

I am happy for this case to marked s resolved.

Lone

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Ah great stuff @LoneBee

If you'd like to click the "This fixed my problem" button on @LaurenB's previous post, this thread will be marked as resolved. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
LoneBee
Rising Star

Not sure if I am being a bit thick but I can't see a "fixed my problem" button option; I have "reply" and "thanks" at the bottom right of the post and have looked in the post options drop down (screenshot attached). I have also searched the page text and it only highlights the text in the plusnet team footers. - is there a process to get there?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Ah shoot, no haha, that's just me not realising that you weren't the original poster on this thread, only they can see that button, my bad. Smiley

Let me know if you need any further assistance at all. All the best for now. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
LoneBee
Rising Star

No problem and everything is now OK. Thanks to the team 🙂.