Did you mean: 

Email limit warnings

Mardler
Rising Star

Email limit warnings

PC based Microsoft Outlook.

iPad based imap email app.

PC long term defunct so iPad used.

Sent items and trash regularly cleared. Inbox cleared but many emails vital long term. Inbox has been much bigger.

Suddenly getting 75% use warnings with threat to wipe.

PN demands checking webmail: I have never used it, don't have username or password and don't want to register in case problems result.

A recent mass deletion of emails made no difference in PN usage data!

Resurrection of the PC is planned soon. This will sweep up all email data on the server and should delete it automatically (the iPad imap app used to but this stopped years ago).

PN: what option(s) do I have?

TIA.

(PN responses only, please.)

25 REPLIES 25
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Email limit warnings

PN demands checking webmail: I have never used it, don't have username or password and don't want to register in case problems result.

The username / password for webmail are exactly the same ones you use for any other mail client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Mardler wrote:

(PN responses only, please.)

Guess you do not want my help then ... or that of the many other users around here who know a good deal about the email systems?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

No, they're not.

Mardler
Rising Star

Correct. See above for why.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Here is the link to the official guide to using webmail https://www.plus.net/content/dam/plusnet/documents/a11y-transcripts/using-your-webmail.pdf , the relevant extract being:-

Here type in your full E-mail address or type in your Plusnet username and password.
If you are using an additional mailbox rather than your main address, you will need to enter the username then a Plus (+) symbol followed by the first part of your e-mail address.

Here is the link for setting up mail using an email client https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

The relevant extract being:-

When you first set up your email application for using your Plusnet email account, it'll ask you for your email username and password. They're usually your:

• Plusnet account username
  • Plusnet account password

If you're adding an extra email address that you've set up in Manage My Mail, you'll need to use:

• your mailbox username, typed as username+mailboxname e.g. smith+andrew
  • your mailbox password

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW

“ PN demands checking webmail: I have never used it, don't have username or password and don't want to register in case problems result.”

Clearly is not aware that webmail is just another interface to the same mail store … but does not want any help from non-PN community members to clarify that.

Mardler
Rising Star

I repeat: it does not work!

Mardler
Rising Star

I am fully aware, thank you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

PN: what option(s) do I have?

Do nothing, take no advice and get all of your email archived?

Remember that your FUP warning applies to the sum total of all mail boxes.

Have you checked all of them?

When you log into the mailboxes using webmail, you can check the size of the folders there - you should also look to see if there are any hidden (unsubscribed) to folders.  Different email clients (and you appear to be using a few) can use different folders (one the server) for sent and deleted items.  There is every possibility that on the client you are looking at, you are not seeing all of the folders which exist on the server.

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

Mardler
Rising Star

PN: I have got in to webmail though am not sure how except for maybe a rogue space character which has happened before. 

A cursory thought: it would be helpful if there was a global delete for a folder's contents, not that I need it and may well have not seen it.

What puzzles me is that, in the absence of the ability to see the space used, the number of emails in the Inbox is a rough guide. The total is just over 60% of the maximum for which I did not receive a warning: has the limit been reduced?

TIA.

Mardler
Rising Star

PN: I have got in to webmail though am not sure how except for a rogue space character which has happened before. 

It would be helpful if there was a global delete for a folder, not that I need it.

What puzzles me is that, in the absence of the ability to see the space used, the number of emails in the Inbox is a rough guide. The total is just over 60% of the maximum for which I did not receive a warning: has the limit been reduced?

Mardler
Rising Star

Apologies for double post: forum error caused it and no delete option.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Did the FUP warning email list more than one mailbox? It lists only the top 5 mailboxes.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hiya @Mardler,

I am really sorry for the confusion over your mailboxes and I am happy you were able to get back into your webmail.

You receive an email from us when the all the mailboxes you have created reach a total of 75% of the space allowed.

I can see that you were sent the ticket here with the space used, I would recommend going through and deleting an emails you do not need any longer.

You can also use POP3 settings so that the emails will be downloaded from our Webmail servers and onto your device.

In the event if the mailbox becomes full, the emails will be archived for a period of time to allow you time to get in touch and for us to return them to you.

Please get back to me if you need any further help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team