cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Problem.

elkieluca
Grafter

Email Problem.

I have been using Thunderbird email for a few years and its never been a problem until now.  I can't get it to open on my computer but it opens fine on my ipad and iphone.  When I try to load it it gives me   Error status OX0000006 and then it says Couldn't Load  XPCOM.  I don't understand this at all and wonder if anyone could please help me.  Thanks.

28 REPLIES 28
dave501
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Email Problem.

Can you tell me if Thunderbird is installed on you’re computer or do you use a web browser to access Thunderbird - if it’s a web browser which one plz?

elkieluca
Grafter

I use Chrome .  I don’t  know much about computers I’m afraid.  

dave501
Aspiring Pro

just had a quick look on the Thunderbird forum, the error you're seeing XPCOM would appear to be associated with Firefox web browser but you say you're using Chrome as you're web browser?

elkieluca
Grafter

Yes definitely Chrome and I use it in my iPad as well.  

elkieluca
Grafter

Do you know if I were to uninstall Thunderbird and then reinstall it would it also uninstall on my iPad, as I’m afraid I’ll lose it altogether if I do that and that’s how my family get in touch with me. 

dave501
Aspiring Pro

Uninstalling Chrome browser on your computer will not affect any apps/programs installed on your other devices, your Thunderbird emails are stored on a web server.

From what I can gather, the XPCOM error you’re seeing can happen when a failed browser update occurs, this leaves a mixture of old and updated files in the browser program folder.

It can be caused when security software is keeping a handle of some of the files stored in the browser program folder preventing the files from updating.

This issue would normally be fixed with a clean browser reinstall that also involves deleting the existing browser program folder.

I’m don’t use Google Chrome myself but I believe the 64-bit installation of Google Chrome on a Windows device is C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\.

Please note:- you will need to delete this folder before you reinstall Chrome….

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

If you decide to delete Chrome do so via Add/Remove programs, delete the folder afterwards.

Chrome would only be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\ if you using the 32bit version, 64bit should be in

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\

Dan.

*Edit You might want to save your bookmarks before you uninstall Chrome.

dave501
Aspiring Pro

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

Chrome would only be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\ if you using the 32bit version, 64bit should be in

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\

Dan.

*Edit You might want to save your bookmarks before you uninstall Chrome.

Are you sure?

My understanding is that both versions 64bit and 32bit are written and stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\ 

elkieluca
Grafter

Thanks for your help but I don’t think I’m can do that so I’ll just use my iPad and use Webmail on plusnet. 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@dave501 

My understanding is that both versions 64bit and 32bit are written and stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\ 

I have two 64bit windows and the are both here:-

Screenshot 2021-12-16 175532.png

There is a C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\ but it has the updater and update software.

HTH

Dan.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dave501
Aspiring Pro

@Dan_the_Van  I wasn't aware that they'd done that...thanks.....

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@elkieluca 

You might want to google "thunderbird xpcom". What I'm seeing when I do so are reports that this error is caused by a failed Thunderbird update. Nothing to do with Firefox or Chrome; leave them alone.

The solution offered here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1130596 is to uninstall Thunderbird and then re-install it.

Thunderbird files are in 2 places on your disc: the program files & what is called the profile. The profile contains instructions to the Thunderbird program on how to pick up your email, and stores the emails etc. that you have downloaded on the Windows machine. Uninstalling Thunderbird using the Windows command does not (well, should not) remove the profile. But, just in case, back it up first; instructions are in the link.

Uninstalling from your Windows box will not affect the installation on your iPad or the way it operates..

It is possible that once you have re-installed, that Thunderbird will create a new profile for itself. Have a look at the profile bit of your disc. If that happens, exit Thunderbird and just copy the contents of the old profile into the new one.

elkieluca
Grafter

Thanks for that. I’ll try.