Did you mean: 

Email Folders - IMAP

FIXED
moansalot13
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Email Folders - IMAP

Hi - no apparent forum for email issues

I have 2 plusnet accounts  ( one Adsl based  - under one Id - which I use in London)

2nd FTTC  ullnlimited extra   (  set up in the North) 

I'm trying to access /set up email access to my Northern account wile i'm in London

Problem is despite using the correct settings for IMAP  I cant get a list of folders for IMAP email  .  - "Windows live mail needs to d/l the folder before i can reed the emails"  - and it just keeps timing out

I already have two other non plusnet IMAP email accounts  successfully set up on this PC - but this plusnet one refuses to work on my PC  - I can get it to work on on tablet but only  as POP email.

Any suggestions pls - I don't have enough hair to loose any more

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Email Folders - IMAP

There is an entire section for it https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/bd-p/Email which you somehow missed Wink

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
moansalot13
Rising Star

Thanks Spemdlesstime    - but no I didn't - hence why i posted this  - it's driving me potty

POP email seems to work - but can't d/l  folders for IMAP account

moansalot13
Rising Star

OOOPs let me rephrase that  - so I did  - investigating 

moansalot13
Rising Star

Fix

Okay thanks folks  - panic over  - and balance of hair is safe - managed to get it working in Thunderbird  - so will see if i can replicate it in Windows live mail

shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Windows live mail has now been discontinued, i use to use it as part of their Windows Live Essentials package (Movie Maker, MSN Messenger, Email, Photos) but it stopped working 2 months ago, i have now switched to Thunderbird to access my Hotmail/Outlook email

moansalot13
Rising Star

Thanks Shylok

I'm aware that officially it has been discontinued for a while  - but it still works  - except apparently with imap and my current plusnet account ..

My mother still insists on using Outlook express  which has been discontinued even longer. ( but still works) 

I have setup  Thunderbird  to access my IMAP email  ( and it works okay)  I will probably migrate other email accounts to it over time. for simplicity.

shylok
Rising Star

I tried the IMAP workaround that i found on the Guardian website but that didn't work properly after the initial resync, they have since suggested switching to POP instead https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2016/aug/11/can-i-still-use-windows-mail-and-windows-...

Im sure i tried POP when the IMAP workaround didn't work for me & found that didn't work either, possibly because i had a Hotmail email

ChrisL
Rising Star

I use Windows Live Mail with Plusnet IMAP. I haven't had any problems since setting it up a few years ago, though I remember that being a bit fiddly. Have you tried simply updating the folder list?