cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted e-mail

colinparker

Deleted e-mail

I use Apple's Mail to access all e-mail accounts.  One reason for moving to Plusnet was because I had understood that, if I set up my Plusnet account with imap, deleted or e-mails moved from my Inbox would be removed from the Inbox of all my devices using that e-mail account.  This does no seem to be the case.
There are a number of possible solutions, the most drastic being to remove my Plusnet account from all but one of my devices.  As an Apple user I already have an iCloud account which removes e-mails from the inboxes of all devices but I tend to use that for family, friends and people with whom I want to be in regular contact.  I would prefer not to be bombarded with less important e-mails on the move.
Have I misunderstood how imap e-mail works?
2 REPLIES 2
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Deleted e-mail

Quote from: colinparker
....One reason for moving to Plusnet was because I had understood that, if I set up my Plusnet account with imap, deleted or e-mails moved from my Inbox would be removed from the Inbox of all my devices using that e-mail account.  This does no seem to be the case.

Near....  IMAP access fetches the e-mails from the server as needed and should not keep them on the accessing device (similar to webmail in that respect), so deleting an e-mail removes it from the server. If devices are retaining the e-mail, then the software is making a copy, which is not a Plusnet problem but a software configuration problem (I get the impression, unverified, that mobile phones keep a copy and delete this when synchronising).
E-mails that are moved (including moved to trash) are deleted from the server inbox and written to the new folder, which may be on the server or local.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Deleted e-mail

It may be necessary to compact folders to stop deleted emails being displayed. Deleted emails are just marked as such by IMAP but physically remain in place until the space is reused.
David