cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation from Plusnet for email outage?!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Compensation from Plusnet for email outage?!

@adam945 

Just to let you know, that this has been raised on social media of all places. I won't say where, but I think you can hazard a lucky guess.

I have my domains and e-mails hosted, but to say e-mail is not essential is wrong.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Alex I'm not surprised this has been raised on (anti-)social media, given some of the posts on the subject here on the forum, no doubt much of it is misinformed garbage. I can't see where Adam has said email is not essential?

John
Alex
Community Veteran

@jab1 

This is why I said that:

@adam945 

"though my personal perspective on this is that your Email service is a free add-on"

jonnyfriendly
Grafter

'MIsinformed garbage' !!!

People have a right to use social media to contact whoever they want - if you are a 'seasoned hero' please refrain from from these kind of comments - it helps no-one

As i have said previously - if you leave an information vacum people will fill it. 

Any 'garbage' should be aimed at PN for their lack of competence, information and respect for customers- all of whom have paid for a service they are not getting.

Stressful for many, garbage comments don't help

jab1
Legend

OK @Alex , but Adam is correct in what he says, and many people use non-ISP mail systems anyway. Think GMail, Yahoo as just two examples off the top of my head.

John
jab1
Legend

@jonnyfriendly wrote:

'MIsinformed garbage' !!!

People have a right to use social media to contact whoever they want - if you are a 'seasoned hero' please refrain from from these kind of comments - it helps no-one

As i have said previously - if you leave an information vacum people will fill it. 

Any 'garbage' should be aimed at PN for their lack of competence, information and respect for customers- all of whom have paid for a service they are not getting.

Stressful for many, garbage comments don't help

As I don't and won't use 'social media' - a misnomer in my opinion - I don't know what has been said, but I do know from snippets from that source I have seen on other subjects it is not the most reliable one.

I have never said people can't use social media, and am unsure as to why I can't voice my opinion - those on that medium are clearly voicing theirs.

John
CrashBangWallop
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I have a feeling nobody is going to end up as a winner if this goes to the stage of "Trial by social media"

I do have a feeling I should detach anything of importance from a PlusNet email address and move it to somewhere with a defined contract in place.

If there is a roadmap for the demise of an email facility the very least we can ask for is to be included in the sharing of that roadmap.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes true @jab1 

Me overrating a bit, so all forgive me. I just remember having to change my passwords for my Exchange mailboxes. That was stressful. No e-mail working at all for a while. 

DigbyChicken
Dabbler

"...your Email service is a free add-on which comes alongside a residential / business Home Phone and Broadband account. You're not compelled to use it, and many of our customers choose not to."

Not true for all of us, @adam945 - I'm a former freenetname/madasafish customer, and my sole interaction with Plus net because they ended up maintaining my domain and email address, which I use for my freelance work. I have no other account or dealings with Plusnet. If you're effectively saying that people in my position should think carefully about going somewhere else because the email service is just an add-on that cannot be relied upon, well, after the events of the last few days, I think that point has already been made.

Alex
Community Veteran

I know, I have my own domains and the MX records pointing to Exchange hosting.

Love it and I have never looked back - all set up on my phone and other devices.

I know from my previous company that if there were an e-mail problem and you didn't take it seriously the you'd be shown the door. I know of someone where if I said "Oh well, e-mail is not working it is just a free add-on", as Alan Sugar said 'You're fired". 

Batphone
Rising Star

Now that the e-mail service has a green light, I re-tried setting the connection to STARTTLS on port 993 but it still doesn't work. Any ideas which authentication method setting I should be using? There are several:

- Normal Password

- Encrypted Password

- Kerberos/GSSAPI

- NTLM

- TLS Certificate

- OAuth2

I tried the first two and TLS Certificate but it times out on all of them.

Have gone back to port 143 and clear text again for now.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Batphone 

I use port 995 with SSL and APOP (authenticated login)

See https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

and the what other settings do I need sub-section

Batphone
Rising Star

Yes, I am aware of that information. It specifies the connection security option and port to use but does omit that one detail about the authentication method for the password. You used port 995 for POP, I used 993 for IMAP. I have now tried all of the available password authentication methods and none of them work unfortunately.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Batphone wrote:

Now that the e-mail service has a green light, I re-tried setting the connection to STARTTLS on port 993 but it still doesn't work.

You wouldn't normally use the STARTTLS command on port 993 as it is an implicit TLS/SSL port and thus is already assumed. You would use it with 143 (where TLS/SSL is optional hence the need to specify with with STARTTLS if desired).

Any ideas which authentication method setting I should be using? There are several:

- Normal Password

- Encrypted Password

- Kerberos/GSSAPI

- NTLM

- TLS Certificate

- OAuth2

I don't use Plusnet's email service but again it'd usually be Normal Password if using TLS/SSL (which includes STARTTLS) as the communications channel is encrypted hence no further protection is required.

MFredericks
Dabbler

So you're not paying them anything and you expect it to all be free? I'm not sure what point you are making??!