cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation from Plusnet for email outage?!

jjlothin
Grafter

Compensation from Plusnet for email outage?!

Anyone know if there's anything in the Plusnet small print whereby we can claim for this current outage, ongoing for several hours now?

They're obviously not spending anything on customer services - the service status page hasn't had an update for 5 hours, despite repeated promises, subsequently reneged on - so they might as well give some money back to their customers!

85 REPLIES 85
pfgpowell287
Dabbler

Re: Compensation from Plusnet for email outage?!

Plus Net certainly can't be blamed for the outage itself, but they can be blamed for not keeping the customer informed. I am just an individual and not being able to receive Plusnet emails is no skin of my nose. But what about those poor saps with a small business who have a Plusnet account and might well be losing out on business.

I agree customer service has gone downhill, but I blame that on the overall owner BT. Before BT bought out Plusnet it was a gem of an ISP and service. Now, it's just like all the others.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@pfgpowell287 wrote:

Plus Net certainly can't be blamed for the outage itself, but they can be blamed for not keeping the customer informed.

What do you want, a message along the lines "it's broke and we're working our cobs off trying to fix it" repeating every hour?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Surfer
Grafter

How about cancelling your contract as Plus net are not keeping to the T&Cs of the contract by not being able to supply the services requested and paid for under the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

Batphone
Rising Star

There's a message just gone up 5 mins ago on their Service Information thread:

We've identified what the problem is and are now completing work to fix this as quickly as possible. Some of this work will need to be completed overnight, to avoid any additional disruption, and we expect affected customers to be able to access their Plusnet email account by tomorrow morning.

So looks like we will have to wait until tomorrow. I am surprised it took that long to post an "we have identified the problem" update though.

Rik13
Grafter

I wouldn't use an email  account for business that was  tied to the ISP  which you could lose access to if you change to a different one , also the +net one doesn't use a secure connection to email clients either as far as I know ?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Surfer wrote:

How about cancelling your contract as Plus net are not keeping to the T&Cs of the contract by not being able to supply the services requested and paid for under the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

If the cause of such a failure is plant/infrastructure/w.h.y, then that approach will not be applicable.

John
Batphone
Rising Star

AFAIK unlike a lot of ISP's these days, they still don't use a secure connection. However, security for organisational infrastructures costs serious money, which maybe has a bearing.

jab1
Legend

@Rik13 / @Batphone Plusnet do offer secure email connection - check the current email setup instructions.

John
Batphone
Rising Star

That's interesting because I set mine up about a month ago when migrated to a new PC. Port 993 did not work. I had to use 143 without security for IMAP. For outgoing e-mail I was able to  connect to the "secure port", 587, but the connection still required me to set connection security to 'None' and authentication method to 'Password transmitted insecurely' otherwise it wouldn't authenticate and connect.

BTW, the router configuration does allow the necessary ports to be communicated with.

Once the service is back up I will try those settings again.

Surfer
Grafter

I am sorry jab1 but I suspect that you are incorrect regarding CRA 2015.  In the link can you point to where it states that CRA 2015 is not applicable in these circumstances?  Thanks.

jab1
Legend

@Surfer OK - as you have obviously read and understood it all, just to save me wading through tons of crud - point me in the direction of the section you are relying on.

John
Surfer
Grafter

There is no section to rely on as it does not exist.  Simples!

jab1
Legend

So how does it apply? Genuine question.

John
briston
Aspiring Pro

@Rik13 that's the reason for having your own domain name. Then you can use whatever get isp you want, move when you want and not lose your email. Oh and use an email client, not webmail.