Cannot send or receive emails through WiFi

blogs
Dabbler

Re: Cannot send or receive emails through WiFi

And now it's erroring again

Addtenman
Grafter

It's obviously an intermittent thing because it just worked a minute or so ago,  now it's not working!

LaticsExile
Hooked

It’s weird that it works perfectly, consistently and without delay through mobile though.

I can access it fine via the WiFi at my local coffee shop.
oldboy81

I have been experiencing the same issue since Sunday morning.  Prior to this I never had any issues with email.  I have not changed my email client settings.

My son came to investigate.  He set up Plusnet (PN) email on his iphone and he too could not connect to Plusnet IMAP server ... whilst his iphone was connected to my Plusnet wifi.  Turned off wifi on his iphone (so now connecting via Vodafone 4g) and bingo everythig is fine - he can download emial for Plusnet.  Reconnects to Plusnet wifi and no longer can his iphone connect to PN email.

He takes my laptop to hs house ... on a diffeent ISP ... and without changing any settings my email downloads from Plusnet.

My son believes there is something in Plusnet that is blocking traffic from Plusnet IP addresses reaching the IMAP mail servers, as of yesterday.  If you connect to Plusnet from Plusnet broadband (wifi or directly connected to the router uing an ehternet cable) all your traffic to the plusnet mail servers will come from a single Plusnet IP address.  It is as if a portion of the plusnet  IP address space is affected in terms of trying to reach the IMAP mail servers.   Connect via 4G or another ISP and you will have a non Plusnet IP address and all is OK.  My IP address is 51.7.105.XX.  Check you IP address (type My IP address in google).  Is your IP similar to mine?  If yes, it support the theory this is I P address related in some way.

HattersFan

My emails are now coming through again as normal. Will see if this continues.

Addtenman
Grafter

Yep, mine are coming through as well.

Iain1965

my emails downloaded about an hour ago haven't tested sending e-mails yet

Just finally able to send one and seemed to go ok.

sallonoroff
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I was having the exact same issue from Sunday morning through to this afternoon. I expected to come on the forum and find lots of grumbling about POP/IMAP email access and was surprised to find none! Only tried this thread on the off-chance it was related.

It was weirdly intermittent - working about 25% of the time via IMAP and maybe 10% via POP - but I hadn't clocked it was an issue with the Plusnet broadband connection until I saw @LaticsExile's comment about it working on mobile. Switching everything here to use 4G confirmed that. And then I realised it was something to do with the DNS. Switching devices to use Cloudflare or Google DNS (1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8) also eliminated the problem.

It's only now that I realise @RPMozley had the correct suggestion in the very first reply!

Anyway, fingers-crossed the issue has been resolved now...

griff75201
Hooked

same here, I can send but not receive...then suddenly it works then an hour later it doesnt. I am using outlook 2019 for it. I am now getting something about certificate not from a secure source....any ideas

oldboy81

As other stated above using a different DNS server seems to resolve this issue. 

By switching you phone to 4/5G instead of Plusnet wifi will cause you to use a different DNS (unless you've statically set a DNS).  Same result if you use a differnet ISP for your laptop, this will most likely cause you to use a differnet DNS (again, unless you've statically set a DNS).  It would seem that recently Plusnet may have issues with their DNS in terms of resolving their email servers.

Example of non Plusnet DNS servers include Google (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) and OpenDNS (Cisco) (208.67. 222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

Can I just ask what IMAP settting people use for Plusnet email (imap.plus.net, port 993, TLS/SSL enable) to ensure connection when off the plusnet network?

griff75201
Hooked

I am not on wifi and I am not using a phone, I am on pc, this started over the weekend. My email client was outlook 2007 part of the office suite, I initially thought may be as its 15 years old now maybe it was not good enough so I decided to buy office 2019 to get a more modern email client, but I still have the same problem., Wasted some money I reckon.

oldboy81

On your PC try changing the DNS setting to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, then try it again.

Just google "how to change DNS settings on Windows <whatever version you are using>".  Before you change the DNS, jsut write down the current settings.