cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to mail.plus.net (POP) from PC outlook 2010

Astral42
Hooked

Re: Cannot connect to mail.plus.net (POP) from PC outlook 2010

Hi, Is the problem resolved yet? Still have my systems pointing at 212.159.8.81. Thanks

borderpath
Dabbler

Reverted incoming server to mail.plus.net from 212.159.8.81 at the week-end and everything now downloading OK. Hopefully issue now fully resolved. Thanks to all who helped with this.

Astral42
Hooked

Thank-you. All back on mail.plus.net and working OK.

Addtenman
Grafter

Mine's fine today and yesterday but it still seems a bit unreliable some days.

Addtenman
Grafter

Back again!!

FWIW:
It started failing intermittently yesterday and today.

FF101
Dabbler

I have been experiencing this problem today. 

Random failures using mail.plus.net, pop3.plus.net and 12.159.9.81

Different machines / phones collecting from the same account work or don't work pretty randomly, although 212.159.9.81 seems to work better than the others.

Again, no info on the service status page which has not been updated for months

Anneyc
Dabbler

I've been using 212.159.9.81 for months now after the last error problems. But it stopped working this afternoon. I tried reverting back to pop3, which worked for me but not hubby. Then it stopped again for me tonight. Have now tried 212.159.8.81- works for both of us- for now 😉

inspiredron
Grafter

I could not connect to email at all  today until I found this thread.  I discovered that on my main pC mail.plus.net was connecting to 212.159.9.81 which is broken for me whereas my wife's PC was connecting to 212.159.8.81 and worked!  I have changed my incoming server settings from mail.plus.net to 212.159.8.81 and BINGO - I have mail.

SO PLUSNET!  WHEN WILL THIS ISSUE BE FIXED?  It seems that folk have been having intermittent issues for some time.  I have wasted a couple of hours this evening trawling the web and wondering if my PC had got a virus or what.  My phone and my wife's phone have both received emails OK - prsumably because they were lucky that mail.plus.net is resolving to a working IP address.

This sort of error is unacceptable from a major ISP.- IMHO

FF101
Dabbler

I fully agree with the last post, as I also wasted hours yesterday and only found a solution after finding this thread.  Even now, mail collection seems slow.

How is it that there is no mention of this issue on the Plusnet service status page, even back in August when it was clearly a recognised problem that could not be fixed immediately.   

Plusnet has now been made aware, once more, that there is a widespread issue, but I think we can all put money on the fact that there will be no alert posted on the service status page, although that is logically the first place that users will look (I certainly did yesterday).

trumpeter
Hooked

WOW. Glad i checked this forum! wasted an hour yesterday trying to solve this. No notification posted on service status, why bother having it if you're not going to keep it updated!!!

Ongoing repeated problems that are quite basic and should have been dealt with first time around.

Seeing as this problem has been going on for quite a while why not publish the fix in a more obvious place. most home users would not know where to begin!

A simple email notifying us that there was a problem and a workaround available would help those that think to access webmail (when that works properly).

I'm slowly loosing my faith in Plusnet. Perhaps Yorkshire isn't the best placew to find good IT guys! Crazy2Crazy3

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi all,

I don't believe what was happening yesterday was the same issue as what started this thread.  I wasn't in the office though, so might have missed something.   I'll do a bit of investigation to work out what happened.

Are you still having any issues like this?  It's generally better you use server names, rather than IPs so we are able to do maintenance and things in the background without impacting you.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jazz
Grafter

I have been having this problem since yesterday and so has my wife.  We both use Thunderbird and cannot pick up our email though I can see it if I go on Webmail.  I could find nothing at all on the Plusnet site to advise of the problem.  I'm pretty disappointed with Plusnet on this one and I have wasted a lot of time finding out what their problems are.  I hope they can soon fix their customers' problems.

PS. And let us know what is happening and when we can get an email service back

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just confirming the issue.  The suggestion above of using an IP will work, but should only be used until we restore full service.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

so are you going to issue a service alert

jazz
Grafter

I've switched mine (and my wife's) email progs to look at 212.159.8.81 and we are now receiving emails.  I won't know when to "switch back again to mail.plus.net" as you suggest unless service alerts are put up.  Surely Plusnet does not rely on us checking the posts on this community forum to find out if the system is working again???