Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not access e-mail account

FIXED
riatoms
Dabbler

Can not access e-mail account

Along side my main Plusnet e-mail account I have several sub e-mail accounts.

All worked fine for years until yesterday.

Now I keep on getting notifications to update the credentials for one of the accounts.             

I have done this several times.

G-mail on my phone and outlook desktop will not download e-mails or sync.

I can’t even sign into PlusNet webmail for this account to check my e-mails that way, saying Login failed. All other e-mail accounts still work.

In the end because nothing worked, I deleted the e-mail account in outlook and now it won’t let me add it again.

I know the settings and my password are correct.

IMAP:                     imap.plus.net       port: 143

SMTP:                    relay.plus.net        port: 587    or       25

11 REPLIES 11
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Can not access e-mail account

Reset email password

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail, then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has had its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the Plusnet account password is left unchanged.

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stampy
Grafter

I think I'm the same - as I can't log into webmail either and I can't set up my email account on my new Laptop via Outlook 2019 either...

Logging into my account on here - I have a "raised question" saying the following:-

During the Monitoring of our email platform, we noticed a number of emails are being sent from either a remote IP or local IP address using your account login credentials.

These mails were identified as unsolicited by our spam filtering software and were brought to our attention, we then sanity checked the source IP address, Subject Line, the From and To addresses and content. Based on these factors, we believe it's quite possible your log-in credentials have been compromised.

The most probable reason is an insecure or weak password, possibly plain text which could have been obtained by a local virus/keylogger or brute-forced using normal dictionary words.

We suggest you now perform an audit of all passwords and sensitive information that may have been accessible from keyloggers etc and perform a full security audit & Virus/malware scan of any Pc's connected to your network.

Once you have taken action, please contact us to arrange for a new strong (cryptic) password to be applied to your account, please use upper / lower case characters and numbers or special characters mixed.

Alternatively, if you are confident you have secured all your local network/computers, you can update your account password with a more secure cryptic password via your customer portal. https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=change_password&s=0

Please note once you make these changes you will need to update any mail software which uses the password your changing to reflect the new password. If the password you are changing is your default password for your account and if you use our broadband service and you are not using a Plusnet supplied router, You will need to update the authentication details in your broadband router configuration to reflect the changes made.

Before making these changes we recommend you familiarise yourself with Plusnet supplied routers here:- http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/

If you are unsure how to change your email configuration, please see our help guides here:- http://www.plus.net/support/email/index.shtml

Alternatively, if you require support on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us. https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/

[-=Internal=-]
The main account password requires updating to a secure cryptic password.

If the customer had a cryptic password previously, this would suggest local keylogger/viral activity, please ensure an audit is done prior to changing the password.

Kind Regards,

Plusnet Abuse Team

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In that case you most certainly have had your password changed. Follow the advice in the email you had received and that above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stampy
Grafter

Yep, spot on....

Changed my password, and everything is back to normal... 👍

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hopefully not back to what it was and something which might be harder to crack?

Check the email address here - Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach - to see where it might have been leaked.  If you have used the compromised email address / password combination elsewhere, go change the password there as well as a matter of priority.

riatoms
Dabbler

I have just come back from holiday and tried to follow the instruction to change the password on the secondary mailbox.

Also, I have seen it before, I now can’t find “Manage My Mail” when I log into my PlusNet account.

Plusnet users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Clicking on “user portal” and trying to log in results in:

Invalid username or password. Please try again.

Email address:

x x x

Password:

x x x

Am I right in using my PlusNet account details? I have no account with Madasafish, but it says  Madasafish has been taken over by PlusNet.

Thank you for any help.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Which brand is your email address?

Plusnet / Force9 / Free-online all use the Plusnet Portal just remember to select the applicable provider. Manage my mail is towards the bottom of the page.

MAAF and other brands should use the MAAF portal, as per the instructions.

riatoms
Dabbler

Which brand is your email address?

I am using PlusNet as the provider, and I click on the Plusnet option when logging in to my PlusNet account.

What link from the above is the right one in order to be able to see “Manage my mail”?

I just seam to be to go round in circles ☹

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Fix
riatoms
Dabbler

This worked a treat, thank you so much.

Reset password and all works fine.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for the feedback... links repaired.

Reset email password

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail, then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has had its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the Plusnet account password is left unchanged.

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.