Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluemail Syncing problems

FIXED
oneteldave
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Bluemail Syncing problems

Hi my BLUEMAIL client on my phone (Zenfone 8, Android 13) has almost stopped working with plusnet mails.  Other providers are unaffected and MS Outlook on my Windows PC continues to work normally.

Bluemail mobile seems to have syncing issues with plusnet. Sometimes after a long time (occasionally hours) emails come through.

Errors such as 'cannot connect to server' appear or the 'syncing' status just buffers. Even when, on occasion, the status changes to 'connected' and the sync time updates no recent emails are received.

Occasionally sending a message to myself from the same account will get through and releases a log-jam of messages.

Bluemail used to work perfectly but has progressively got worse and today seems to have almost stopped altogether.

I have reinstalled the app and accounts to no avail..

Any ideas as to what is going on?

7 REPLIES 7
oneteldave
Dabbler

Re: Bluemail Syncing problems

Still nothing coming through today from Plusnet to Bluemail.  Other providers coming through fine. Am I the only person encountering this issue?

oneteldave
Dabbler

Fix

Rather surprised to receive no advice on this at all.... 

Bluemail is now completely unable to access Plusnet Mail, but to help anybody else having this problem, I have had to ditch Bluemail app altogether and change to K9.  The UI is not quite as nice but the interaction with Plusnet Mail is faultless.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

No responses was probably totally predicated on there being little working experience with that email client.  "Get an alternative" as a first response is not likely to have been popular.

Given that you are disposed to a different client, Thunderbird is popular, with a decent UI.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

oneteldave
Dabbler

Thanks Townman.  Bluemail is supposed to be quite a popular mobile phone email app but clearly not so with Plusnet clients!  I have used it for years and have been very happy until this Plusnet specific issue arose.

As it happens,  'Try another app' might have saved me 3 or 4 days trying in vain to find what the problem is... luckily I am retired.  Bluemail support seems to be as unaware of Plusnet as Plusnet is of Bluemail!

I am aware that Thunderbird is good and popular, but it does not provide an Android app and MS Outlook provides all I need for my PC.  The same cannot be said for the Outlook Android app which is littlle short of an antiquated nightmare.  

I am growing to like K9 more by the day. Its initial connection (using Plusnet's manual settings) and subsequent syncing with Plusnet could not be more efficient.  K9 went through a bad patch a few years back when the original was taken over but, for a free email client, the latest update is just fine. I understand that the 'myMail app' is also pleasantly simple but I did not get around to trying it with Plusnet.

I hope these thoughts might be useful to someone.

Cheers

David 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi David,

In that case, please accept my apologies!  I read your post several days ago and though ... "Bluemail - no experience - I will leave alone!!".

There are various products which 'trad' under the label "Outlook" form something on Windows which is the bee's knees of email client to the pathetic Win10 mail excuse for an email client also called "Outlook".  Somewhere in between is "Outlook" for android.  Not sure how the product of that name looks on mobiles / iOS.

I have used a few variants, including "Outlook" on an Amazon fire ... none match the richness of the native Windows PC version UI.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Total_Chaos
Rising Star

I used to use Bluemail, but it always has had issues off and on with PN mail.  I could always get it to work after a while though. When it worked it could take some time to get messages to load (IMAP) compared to K9 on my Android devices.  I moved across to K9 sometime back when it became part of Thunderbird and therefore Mozilla.  Eventually it is intended to brand it as Thunderbird for Mobile, though I think that is when it is upgraded more and is more like Thunderbird.  It does appear to be getting regular updates.  Generally speaking it just works, and to me that is the most important, though as you say currently it is not as glossy, or has so many additional features as Bluemail did.

oneteldave
Dabbler

Just so, TC.  Seems like I stumbled on the best answer!  Looking forward to K9 updates now that Thunderbird is taking it seriously.