Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bigpond rejecting Plusnet emails again

SimonFastEddy
Hooked

Re: Bigpond rejecting Plusnet emails again

To: Townman

Dated: 17 February 2022  15:34 PM

Bigpond is a bit of a bother then!  Thank you for the link - it was useful, with many helpful recommendations. 

I have sent the link to Oz

I've done a bit of reading around and the following link explains a lot:

https://www.enginemailer.com/blog/email-error-550-what-is-it-and-how-to-fix-it

This is something the industry needs to sort out, rather than produce Windows 11. I had enough trying to learn LINUX and only to discover that it doesn't interface with Windows 10.  This is why we have computers - to sort difficult problems that perplex Help-desks.

Gratefully from SimonFastEddy

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks for that link.

This is what it says about the error code in the bounces I had:
"6. Email Error 550 5.7.1 Access Denied
This error message means the email was rejected either because of security policies or incorrect configuration on the recipient side."

Though it said the Plusnet address was blacklisted (not my IP address but presumably one the message went through on its way) it looks as though it could just be something wrong at Bigpond!

We've had this happen a few times in the past. As you say, Bigpond IS a bit of a bother!
I usually flag it up here in case there are others having the same problem, as it's not nice to think you're being suspected of sending spam, especially when you're just replying to an email from the intended recipient, as I was.

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

"I had enough trying to learn LINUX and only to discover that it doesn't interface with Windows 10"?

You obviously didn't downgrade the connection to use SMB - which Windows 10 uses/understands.

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
SimonFastEddy
Hooked

Hi PeeGee

From SimonFastEddy

My Windows 10 Pro is networked to three computers and I have to have SMB1 running to have a network at all.  I don't know anyone who has got LINUX to network with Windows 10. 

It demonstrates what is wrong with Microsoft's approach.  It is easy for ordinary consumers (such as myself) to run out of expertise and what looks like a simple emailing problem soon becomes an impossibly complex issue, beyond a consumer or help-desk to resolve quickly and cheaply.  

Technical ignorance is wide-spread: I wouldn't trust a scientist wearing a face-mask!  I am off topic but bear with me a moment:

SARS-CoV-2 is an 85 nano-meter particle and a face-mask would have a mesh about 100th of a millimeter (100 to 1000 times larger).  Scaled up: would you be able to kick a 2 ft diameter gymnasium ball through a net with a 200 ft mesh - Yes!  But the world disagrees. 

How easy it would be for a virologist such as myself to become a spammer, condemned by a server and weak script.  

Bigpond needs to dream a while: a friend of mine in the Royal Navy gets 1,000 emails a day.  One BigPharma firm routinely has 5,000 prospecting job applicants traversing their personnel department at any one time.  One missed email is one too many.

I can summarise these issues: if we invented an AI program and set it running to discover a perfect mailing solution - it would re-invent the fountain pen.

We need an analytical tool not Windows 11 dressing.

SimonFastEddy