cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here! (Part 2)

joe_80

Re: Archived mailbox? Request for it to be unarchived here! (Part 2)

Please can you unarchive my mailbox, thanks.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 109

@joe_80 is this due to inactivity as I can't see it is due to storage issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
cassuki
Rising Star

My husband’s mailbox was archived 2 weeks ago. I rang the same day and was told it would take up to 5 days. I rang again last Thursday as it was still not back. It was escalated and supposed to be being monitored to ensure it would be recovered quickly  it is still not back and it is now 2 weeks. I’ve just discovered that the question has been flagged as resolved.

This is not good enough. 

it is also really annoying that having complained more than once about there being no way to request a mailbox be unarchived online and having to ring repeatedly, I wasn’t told that unarchive requests could be handled on here.

cassuki
Rising Star

What a complete farce. Have spoken to support this morning and they can’t access either of the two previous requests because the people who raised them are not online. So they’ve now raised a third request but can’t guarantee it will be dealt with any quicker. I was also told that requests made by other customers before my first request are still waiting to be dealt with.

So why tell customers it will be up to 5 working days when they know it won’t be done that quickly? And why isn’t Plusnet enforcing it’s contract with the third party supposed to be carrying out these tasks and making them do them to the set timescales?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@cassuki 

Was this archive due to the mailbox not being accessed for 90+ days or for exceeding the Fair Usage Policy (FUP)?

FUP monitoring sends out 75%+ utilisation reports for weeks before the utilisation reaches 100%.  When 100% is breached, at least TWO archive warning emails are sent at one week intervals and archiving is not performed until at least one week after the second warning.  That should allow users sufficient time to take action to avoid their email being archived.  Did you receive these emails and if you did, what action was taken?

Some users have suggested that they did not receive those emails, but on inspection it transpired that the nominated mailbox they were sent to is not being monitored by the user.  Use the PN Tickets link below to view your 'ticket' history.  If the archive is due to FUP violation then there will be closed tickets recording the reported utilisation and which email address the notifications were sent to.

The preferred notification email address can be found under the user account settings at https://plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cassuki
Rising Star

I did get the warning emails and we did delete emails from the two main mailboxes and subsequent warnings showed a smaller total but unfortunately we didn't manage to get it under 1Gb. The issue is that we can't see how much space is in use in total without a huge amount of work. You can't see the total space used per mailbox. We both have a lot of folders so having to check the total for each folder and then add it up is impractical as it is extremely time consuming because it takes up to 2 minutes for it to return the figure for each folder.  

The underlying issue here is that 1Gb shared across multiple mailboxes is not sufficient. So it is a constant battle to keep the volume under the limit. I don't understand why you can't offer increased limits at a price.

Irrespective of the battle with the limit, once a mailbox has been archived and a request is made to unarchive it. it is supposed to be done within 5 working days. But in this case it is now 2 weeks and there seems no hope of getting it back quickly. 

blear
Dabbler

Absolutely agree.  The current system is not easy and it would seem sensible to offer what people want, at a price.

Email records are hugely important to ordinary domestic users, who may not all have the skills necessary to cope.

I think Plusnet risks reputational damage if it continues to disconcert its customers.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Good to know that you did get the warning emails, which report the 5 largest mailboxes and total space used by each.  It also reports all space used, so the total usage of others (ranked 6 and upwards) can be deduced.

If you are accessing the mailbox using and IMAP client, most provide the means of inspecting the size of the mailbox (both local and remote).  For example in Outlook 365 (proper Outlook) right click on the mailbox in the left panel, select PROPERTIES and then FOLDER SIZE

1GB is not these days a substantial amount of storage, but it was when these services were established in the pre-BT days when Plusnet were an all-singing-all-dancing hi-tech full-service provider.  Scared of their competition, BT gobbled them up and reduced them to a bear-bones broadband provider.  Thereby any thought of value add, flexible offering is gone.

Elsewhere most ISPs have ditched bundled services such as email and web hosting.  Most users these days are not as loyal as you clearly have been; it has been a long time since the mail option was withdrawn for new users and retaining it on departure is now not an option either paid for or for free.

As for managing the mailbox sizes, most of us are just plain lazy, whatever the limit, we will fill it as that is easier than doing house keeping.  If your family is anything like mine - especially the kids, all to often inappropriate use is being made of email, by using it to do document and image transfers, rather than using a file sharing service such as Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud or Google Docs.  Having sent the item, the fact that the SENT ITEMS folder also counts towards mail storage utilisation becomes over looked.

The following might be helpful...

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sn5775
Dabbler

Hi, Would it be possible, please, to request the un-archiving of my mailbox, the address begins with ste............. .plus.com. I will then delete some more messages. Thank you in advance. Kind regards, Steve.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Hiya @sn5775

Would you mind PM'ing us your username and a screenshot of the email? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team