cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Plusnet account to Gmail

RichardGood

Adding Plusnet account to Gmail

I am trying to setup Gmail to be my online client for Plusnet using the “Check email from other accounts” POP functionality. I have followed the “fix” proposed by Lazyjacks in this thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Keep-Plusnet-Email-Address-but-wish-to-use-Gmail-or-Microsoft/td...

and also tried to use the configuration settings on the plusnet help pages:

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Neither work for me, and confusingly the two guides to configuring pop are very different from each other.

My email is of the form xxx@yyy.plus.com

If I use mail.plus.com /port 110 as in the lazyjacks solution I get the message:

There was a problem while connecting to mail.plus.com
Server returned error: "We were unable to locate the other domain. Please contact your other provider."

If I use mail.plus.net / port 995 as in the plusnet help pages I get a server timed out message.

For the username field I have tried using my full email address xxx@yyy.plus.com as well as either the xxx bit or the yyy, but no combination of anything is working, and I am highly confident I’m not getting my password wrong (I’ve tried dozens of times)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Adding Plusnet account to Gmail

@RichardGood  the Plusnet pop3 server is mail.plus.net not mail.plus.com

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardGood

Thanks very much for that @MisterW 

You put me on the right path. So for me the correct solution was: 

The username is the short plusnet username, not the full email address.

The mailserver is mail.plus.net

The port is 110 not 995

(It might be helpful to update both the plusnet help page which recommends port 995 and @lazyjacks accepted fix which says mail.plus.com: neither of those options worked for me in gmail)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@RichardGood  both port 110 and 995 are correct in fact.

Port 110 is for unencrypted connections, port 995 is for SSL encryption.

The username is accountname ( the yyy in your example ) for the main mailbox. For additional mailboxes it is accountname+mailboxname ( yyy+xxx ) although I believe that the full email address also works for additional mailboxes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.