Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply" is Defective

Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply" is Defective

I find it quite amazing that this problem has been going on for this long (several years) and yet still not been addressed by Plusnet.  The only other forum I can think of where this is a permanent issue (getting multiple post update emails for ever new post made in a single thread in between your forum visits) is over on the thinkbroadband.com forum but that is because they make no pretence at all of offering a "Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply" feature.  Therefore if you subscribe to a thread you know that this is what you may be letting yourself in for on thinkbroadband.com
However Plusnet quite clearly claims to offer this feature in its Community Forum's Profile settings option but for some odd reason it doesn't actually work, never has worked and nothing has been done about putting this right.
I find it very irritating if I don't look at my email for 18 hours due to getting on with life and being away from my computer and then come back to find my Inbox flooded with multiple post update emails for a single busy thread because no one responsible for forum admin at Plusnet seems able to get this important but currently defective forum feature reinstated.
I look forward to receiving a detailed response on this issue from the Forum Admin team.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: "Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply" is Defective

I don't have that problem and as far as I am aware nobody else has reported it so it isn't a systemic problem but something to do with your account and I couldn't see anything obvious in the settings.
This will have to wait for the staff admins to have a look at
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Whilst I understand that you're frustrated about this, I'd like to mention a couple of things:
- I don't actually remember (but am probably wrong) this issue being mentioned to us previously?
- In fact, see my next post....
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking and comparing your options to mine, I've found a difference and this feature works for me.
Try changing the settings in your profile to match those in the image attached. I still receive email notification of the first response to the topic but no more after that until I reply again.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
Looking and comparing your options to mine, I've found a difference and this feature works for me.
Try changing the settings in your profile to match those in the image attached. I still receive email notification of the first response to the topic but no more after that until I reply again.

So you seem in effect to be saying that I shouldn't have the "When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.)" option set in my Profile and that in effect by having this option ticked that this overrides and cancels out having the "Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply" option set.
Obviously somebody in charge of the forum has decided that having the "send the post in the email" option set to on means you do also want to receive a new email every time there is a new posts in a thread even though you have also ticked an option which explicitly says that you don't want to do so ("Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply") but I would argue that all this does is create a very confusing situation where someone thinks they have opted out of getting a new email every time there is a new post in a thread only to find they haven't.  In my personal opinion when the options are set the way I have set them then I should get just one email when the first post update in a thread since I last visited happens and this email should contain "the posts in the email".  However clearly if I wanted to get all further posts until I next visit the forum as separate emails I wouldn't then also have the "Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply" option set.  However instead what we have is two forum options which are in fact mutually contradictory and where one it turns out takes precedence over the other but this is not made clear when they are set by a forum member.  In My Humble Opinion if someone ticks the "When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email" option doing this should automatically de-tick the "Receive reply  notification only for the first unread reply" option and the situation would then be completely clear cut and not subject to any ambiguity.
In any event thanks for clearing this up and I will now de-tick the option to get the actual posts in the post update emails so I don't get a succession of post emails for one thread in between one visit to the forum and the next.
MrTuningFork199
Dabbler

In all fairness I have had the same issue and I'm not being notified of replies to topics I have asked to be replied to but will now go and double check all my settings.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Your problem seems to be the reverse of mine though and I don't think there are any contradictory forum profile options that would cause this situation.  More likely is that the post update emails are being blocked by your ISP's spam filtering service.   You should try whitelisting the email address of community@plus.net in your email account settings with Plusnet so that emails from this address with post update emails are not then subject to spam filtering.
You can find these spam filtering settings under the Email Settings option then Manage My Mail option and then fthe Spam tab and finally the Approved Addresses box in the Plusnet Member Centre.at https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html?home=membercentretop
adie:quote
MrTuningFork199
Dabbler

I got it sorted now thanks, my problem was to do with my profile and I have now set it up how I want to be notified of replies etc.
MrTuningFork199
Dabbler

Meant to say thanks for your thoughts and suggestions though.