cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another idea!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yet another idea!

I’ve just had a thought, as dangerous as that is, but I couldn’t stop it.

So would it be possible to add the ability to have the equivalent of an @ mention when someone quotes your post, as it really amounts to the same thing? Only to be done when an actual @ doesn’t exist for the user quoted or course.

As always, just a thought.

9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Yet another idea!

It would be better if when you hit the quote button it put a header on the quote giving the date/time and username from the original post which was a clickable link back to that post - like it did on the old forums!

On 03-12-20at 16 12:14 PM Mook wrote:

I’ve just had a thought, as dangerous as that is, but I couldn’t stop it.

So would it be possible to add the ability to have the equivalent of an @ mention when someone quotes your post, as it really amounts to the same thing? Only to be done when an actual @ doesn’t exist for the user quoted or course.

As always, just a thought.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

All the @ mention does is email the person and put it in their notifications - which email me when someone replies does anyway!

Do you have the default for that option turned off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jelv - I normally have the post email notifications turned off, which is why I thought about the @ mention when being quoted as not all users use them they way they're intended, and if someone is citing you then it would be good if you knew about it.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Yes, but then you'd have people who have notifications turned on (which is the default) complaining about receiving two notifications!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that's a distinct possibility! But that may be gotten around by reading the user's settings, I don't know TBH just a thought, this is one for @jaread83 I guess.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Not overkeen on the suggestion @Anonymous  for much the same reasons that @jelv has put forward.

Additionally it is likely to need integration into the core Lithium code to be properly effective - and the Lithium track record for doing anything is well established.

If it could be implemented outside of the core code then I would be even less in favour!  The growth in JS add-on 'warts' (customisations) will steadily render the Forum unmaintainable as happened with the previous two Forum instantiations?

2p now spent.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

When we started the project we wanted to make it so that quotes included a bit more info about the quote as well as a link going directly back to the quoted post. Unfortunately I am unable to intercept the quote button functionality without using a dirty hack of some sort (as Maurice pointed out add-on 'warts').

There is also the problem of users seeing more notifications too if they were being mentioned as part of the quote. An idea was submitted to Lithium to implement the above (link back to quoted post) but it needs to get more attention from other communities before it would be considered as a feature for the core product.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough @jaread83, as I said just a thought, so no harm done.

However, I have had another idea that may be doable and useful (well for me it would be). In the My Settings > My Subscriptions would it be possible to have an additional column that showed the time stamp of the last post, so it can be used to decide whether to delete the subscription based on the age of the last post. Again, just another thought.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I just had a look in the system but can't find a way to access that page to edit it Sad

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.