cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to my Username?

penneck1

What has happened to my Username?

I haven't been on the Forum for a while (everybody cheer), but today when I tried to log in, it wouldn't accept my username/password. I asked for my password to be changed, and that resulted in me finding my username had changed slightly. The new username indicates I'm a newbie from round about 2016/2017, but I've been with Plusnet since about 2008 (I think). The newbie may have been a temorary username when I had a problem with my connection to Plusnet - I cannot remember the reason for it.

Please would someone at Plusnet check what has happened, and contact me

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: What has happened to my Username?

FALSE ALARM. It turns out that while my normal username had a problem with the password (why? I don't know), if I use my postmaster email address for the password reset (which I did), it comes back with the newbie username. If I use my other email address, I get my normal username, but as already mentioned, I still had to change my password. Therefore, in both cases, I have had to change the password, but at least Plusnet can call off their investigators.

To prevent this happening again, can I change the username associated with the postmaster email address to the normal username?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from My Account / Billing to community site feedback

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can swap the email addreses between the two accounts and then one can be banned, not sure if that resolves your issue though?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
penneck
Aspiring Pro

@dvorak   Not sure I understood your suggestion correctly. I want both email addresses available for emails, but I also want both email addresses to have the same username associated with them. I still don't know why my password 'failed'. When it happened, it said there was a problem with the username or password, but gave no indication of which. I couldn't see how to check them, so I requested a change of password. It asked for my email address, but I have two so I used my oldest address. It is that one which has the newbie username, which I want to change.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm pretty sure that a forum username can only have one email address linked to it, and similarly you can't have the same email address for more than one forum username. 

Best way to tackle this is to change the email address for the penneck account to what you want then have penneck1 banned. Or vice versa.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet