Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of text speak

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Use of text speak

There is a developing habit among a few posters of using text speak.
This annoys me as I consider it just laziness or impoliteness to the other posters - take your pick.
Following the animated discussion on the last rule change I thought I would ask the opinion of the Community before raising it with the other Moderators
56 REPLIES 56
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: Use of text speak

This is ridiculous oldjim.

So long as a person makes themselves clear it doesnt bother me if its in arabic.
Also you forget that some members have a medical condition which hinders their communication styles.
Next you will be trying to ban inane posts.  These also can be quite irritating.
where will you start next?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: thisoldman
So long as a person makes themselves clear

That's the whole point of the exercise.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You can't reasonably ban it, equally you can't make people read it. Personally I don't.
Some advice that it's "inappropriate" and difficult to understand might not go amiss.  Cool
I recall reading various documents overs the years labelled "netiquette" (or similar) giving advice on the accepted and effective ways of communicating in different situations, e.g. email, txt, forums and so on. That's where such advice belongs.
James
Grafter

It annoys me too, but so do people that walk slowly and short people with umbrellas.
You can't ban them and equally, you can't ban people for using text speak.
Nice try though Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

We should definitely ban people who text and walk at the same time!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thisoldman
Grafter

Thank you thank you    jameseh  for introducing a modicum of commonsense. You as a plusnet member of staff need also in my view to reconsider the draconian attitutes of  theese mods in here before someone takes legal action.

The suggested ban was a step too far
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The poll is there to gauge community opinion.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I see no reason it cannot be banned, I know of no ailment or illness that makes people use text speak, indeed before the rise of SMS messages it was unknown.
Sorry people who use text speak do so out of laziness or choice, not because they were born with an affliction to text speak.
thisoldman
Grafter

midnight caller im sure would disagree
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I agree with fourfourdevon.  
Some people don't have mobile phones, others that do only use them for conversation. They will find text speak impossible to follow.
Thanks to Oldjim for raising the issue.  It will be interesting to see the outcome of the poll.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Not being familiar with midnight caller, I cannot comment directly, but as, as I say, no one used text speak before the rise of SMS messages.  Sure people had bad spelling, myself included (it only started to improve from the age of 24) but bad spelling I can put up with, text speak is choice, I have no problem with excluding people based on a choice they make, especially if a decision here has no effect on their ability or inability to continue with their choice elsewhere.
Libraries demand that people are quiet, many places demand that people don't run, some parks request you not go on the grass, many roads of parking restrictions, all public roads (in the UK) have speed restrictions, the list could go on for a very long time.
I see no reason why text speak should be treated as a special case.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just what has got in to the moderators these days? This is just the sort of over-zealous rule making that winds me up. Next they'll be insisting that all posts are correctly spelt and punctuated with correct use of capitals; failure to do this can make posts much harder to read than when text speak is used. We're all used to Gary's posts but are tolerant as we are aware of the situation.
I'd have hoped that we'd have been far more welcoming to people in these forums in whatever style they wish to post. If you have trouble understanding it either ignore and move on, or post a request for a translation.
If it is really an issue and you've used the word censor to turn variations of 'Plusnet' in to the correct spelling, why not use it to turn things like gr8 in to [abbr=great]gr8[/abbr]? (hover the mouse over to see the effect)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: jelv
I'd have hoped that we'd have been far more welcoming to people in these forums in whatever style they wish to post. If you have trouble understanding it either ignore and move on, or post a request for a translation.

That really is quite rich coming from you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
thisoldman
Grafter

very well said jelv
perhaps 4 devon should acquaint himself with disability discrimination legislation

if oldjim introduces a ban then on behalf of disabled people i will take via the EHRC legal action