Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unread posts disappear

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Unread posts disappear

I'm having a strange moment on the forum.
I fire up my Windows 10 64 bit PC, start Waterfox and I have at least one page of Unread Posts.
I open the first and have a read.
I then click Unread Posts to pick the next in the list and there are none....the Unread Posts page is empty.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
12 REPLIES 12
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Unread posts disappear

Isn't this because the first display is recent unread posts and after appearing on a list they are no longer recent? So you need to select all unread posts to see them.
David
Strat
Community Veteran

I suppose that's possible but I don't normally experience this situation when I start my PC Undecided
I can reveal a few topics by clicking 'Show all unread topics'...something I never normally do.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, you are right. I've just experimented using Chrome on my Nexus 7 and reading a single post from the unread posts list, then selecting unread posts again returns the same list (apart from the one I've just read). No need to select the all unread topics option.  Huh
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what Safari on my Mac does for me; is that not the way it's meant to work, well it has for me since I joined these Fora. i.e. You've read an article so when the list is refreshed there is one less.
Strat
Community Veteran

But in my case I read the first topic in a list of unread topics.
When I return to the list it's empty Huh
Never mind, I'll get used to it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

But it's evidently wrong, no?
That is very weird, what does the link say it is when you hover over the "UNREAD POST" link above? Mine says http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=unread
Copy and paste that into your clip board then the next time you read an entry from the the list paste it into your address bar and see if the list returns minus the article you've just read or empty.
Are there settings anywhere you may have fat fingered?
Strat
Community Veteran

My link is the same as yours.
I'll check out settings.
Thanks Mook.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried clearing cookies and checking the cookie rule
Alternatively could it be something to do with it being 64 bit
Strat
Community Veteran

Settings checked ok.
Cookies cleared so will wait until tomorrow and see as it only occurs at the start of a new day.
@Jim it's been happening for less than a week and I've been on 64 bit for quite a while.
I'm having my energy meters 'upgraded to Smart' tomorrow so it might have to be Thursday.
Thanks for the help.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows 10 64-bit here but using IE11. My link is apparently identical at: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=unread and works "properly".
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Oldjim
Have you tried clearing cookies and checking the cookie rule
Alternatively could it be something to do with it being 64 bit

Surely what has / has not been read is held server side against the user profile.  To do otherwise would mean that on moving to another device, details of what has been read elsewhere could not be known on the second device.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That can be proved by using a second browser.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)