Did you mean: 

Unannounced community non-availability

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Unannounced community non-availability

At about 01:30 this morning (28th June) the community forum went off air for "maintenance".

There had been no service announcement stating that this would happen.  Given previous hints that Lithium do not inform PlusNet of the details of changes made to this service, would one be correct in concluding that this down time was not planned with / known about by PlusNet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unannounced community non-availability

If that is the case, it is verging on reckless on Lithium's side and if the truth be told it should never happen. I have made mention of this before, but I genuinely find this shocking.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

There is a weekly maintenance window when the community goes offline for a few minutes every week in the early hours of the morning to perform optimisation tasks on the server.

This has happened every week since we launched the new community so I don't think we need to announce it. This is normal and just because you were unaware of it doesn't make it reckless or shocking so I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here guys.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's fair enough @jaread83 now that we know it is planned. I mentioned my concern based on the fact that the assumption here was that it was unplanned which in my opinion would have made it reckless.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Fix
No, this happens every week in the early hours. No cause for alarm, it's just a maintenance break that is done every week on Wednesday mornings. Other maintenance breaks can occur if we have some major changes being deployed but these are few and far between.
Speaking of which, we have our big Community update incoming at around 10am (I posted this on the announcements board) so the forums might go down for a few minutes while it is being deployed.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@jaread83,

As per Mook, that's a fairish response, though most other regular maintenance activity is clearly signposted around here.

Sadly one has become slightly conditioned into having a low level of confidence that all is as transparent as it might be over Lithium's management of the platform.  Hope you might forgive what appears to be over reaction? Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.