Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topic not going to last post today?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Topic not going to last post today?

Very odd.  Today most of the topics I've visited are not going to the last post.  Even on a topic where I made a reply, the 'Blue box' is still on the first post (of 4)

No settings have changed in the last few days.  Anyone seeing a problem?

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

30 REPLIES 30
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Topic not going to last post today?

Yes I noticed it earlier when it went to the first post instead
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, I've noticed it as well. At the first time I spotted it, I thought strange and thought it was probably something I'd done, but no, it is not jumping to the first unread post.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

It does appear to be a sporadic problem and like you I initially thought that it was something that I was doing!  Yesterday I was not particularly active on the Forum but things did seem to work as expected.   However, this morning I've come across an instance that I can record.

Catching up, I went to the 192.18.1.x Topic that both yourself and @Townman have been responding on.   I was taken to the the top of page 5 (of 5), but checking, I could see that the 'blue box' indicating first Unread message was correctly set on Message 143 of 146.  I also see that this Topic had not been 'active' since the new site launch and thinking back, I believe that a number of other incidences I've seen fall into this category?  But I have seen it happen on newer Topics.

Maurice 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Maurice, it certainly is inconsistent,I've been having a look to see if I can spot a pattern, not research quite enough yet. As far as the 192.18.1.x thread goes it has been active in the last 24hrs. A poster posted yesterday and I've replied as did they and another from me. As a slight aside (but maybe related to the jump issue) I have 10 pages of that thread -146 messages, so question - how many posts per page do you have? I have 11 weird!!

Anotherone
Champion

In terms of inconsistency, taking this thread for example, when I hover over the post title the link given is 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Topic-not-going-to-last-post-today/td-p/1329103/jump-to/first-unread-message

but when I click it goes to the first post - that whether I do a left click or even a right click and Open in New tab.

Anotherone
Champion

Here's what I found with some other threads I tried it on - If I went to any particular post in a thread and marked it as new, when I next clicked on the Thread Title on a Board, it went to the post that I'd marked.
It's as though the system has forgotten which posts that I've read but not which Topics I've read. @Oldjim was complaining about it forgetting what had been read yesterday afternoon. Not forgetting of course that if there is a new post in a topic the topic will then show as Unread - unless I'm now totally confused.
I know one thing, I'm getting totally sick and tired of all these issues.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I'm seeing something similar.  In this Topic the 'blue border' was around my message 1,  when I had definitely read and posted later messages in the Topic.  I tried marking the topic as 'Read' but that didn't make any difference, but trying your trick of marking the post as 'New' moved the 'blue border' to the last post.  Retrying from the Forum page now took me correctly to the last post.

What should be the trigger to update the 'position in thread' trigger?

Like you I'm getting frustrated with these usability issues we report but see no action on.  I see the only PN staffer on-line today is trusty Bob P.

M

Anotherone
Champion

My guess is "something" has been updated. It's not been thoroughly tested and is having adverse effects. Now whether that is Lithium or Plusnet, we have yet to find out.

Oh, just to add, previously if you've read all the posts in a topic, even when you clicked on the title on the board list, it went to the last post, not the first.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I think it takes you to the first of a series of unread messages and not the last message? For me it will highlight the first message that is marked as [NEW] in the subject on the post and I can read the replies after that.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83   I believe you are correct, where the 'last read' message is marked by a surrounding blue border. But in the last few days there have been a number of occasions where this is not happening - see my message No. 8.  It is (or has been) sporadic and therefore difficult to pinpoint specific instances unless ones focus is on the minutia of the process of reading the board rather than on the content?

Generally I'm moving away from using many of the new features because they are just not reliable enough in operation.  Sad fact because initially I was quite happy to see and make use of the new bits!

Maurice

Anotherone
Champion

@jaread83 wrote:

I think it takes you to the first of a series of unread messages and not the last message? For me it will highlight the first message that is marked as [NEW] in the subject on the post and I can read the replies after that.

That is what it is supposed to do Jack. It was doing it, but is no longer doing so. In every case I have tested today it is consistently going to the first post in the topic.
Also, previously, where one had read all the posts in a topic/thread it would go to the last post. It is no longer doing that.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The weird thing is that nothing has been updated. There are other things at play too such as when a post is editted when you read the original, it marks it as unread (becuase there is new content).

I am going to guess you got the setting to 'jump to first unread post' option enabled too? That option only works from the board view. With the option disabled, you will be taken to the start of the thread when clicking any of the topics in the board. This option does not affect any other page such as the homepage which is just providing a quick view of whats going on recently.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just thought I'd chip in and say it works fine for me and does as expected.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

Yes Jack, I have the option enabled and I know it only works from the Board view. But as I pointed out in message 6 you can see the link yourself and what it did.The OP has never been edited, and in all the other topics I have checked today, they were created more than 24 hrs ago, so the OP can't be edited.