Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toning Down The Background

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Toning Down The Background

Before the next round of Forum/Website changes, I wonder if it would be possible to use a "less glaring" background colour..... i.e. NOT WHITE...... Using something like pale grey or pale blue (but deeper than the current version, which is almost non existant) with "high contrast" text colours will be a lot less strain on the eyes......
It is possible to do this with Firefox to change the background colours and even the style by going to this  page  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108 then clicking on Add to Firefox.... once installed, you can then choose from a whole range of add-ons, to customise (and save your eye strain) websites, and even Google search pages... YouTube and Facebook, and probably a whole lot of other sites are catered for.....
If not possible to do this as a PlusNet "upgrade", then perhaps some kind soul would like to write a "style" and upload it for use with Stylish........?
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Toning Down The Background

From memory this was discussed at length after a previous update and there was a lot of flak from those with less than perfect eyesight (this is the PC description - optically challenged) as the contrast was not adequate to make reading the text easy. This was why it was changed to very muted colours and white
shutter
Community Veteran

I understand the "thinking" about the visually impaired. but like many, I find the "overwhelming" amount of "white space" to be a strain on my eyes.... Yes, there is a facility to reduce the screen brightness, but this also reduces the brightness of the text, and so defeats the object.....  Hence my reason for adding in the line

Using something like pale grey or pale blue (but deeper than the current version, which is almost non existant) with "high contrast" text colours will be a lot less strain on the eyes......

This is a feature available in Windows "appearance"...... where you can choose a theme, and also use "high contrast" to make text more easy to read, yet "damping down" the brightness of the page/screen.....
If you have Firefox, I suggest trying the Stylish addon. ..... go to Flickr site, then right click on the S icon, (bottom right above the task bar) and "Find Styles For This Site"..... look for a style called  Flickr on beige background...... Install it, then see if there is sufficient "high contrast" between text and background, without the "glare" from the white pages....
As already mentioned. 
If PlusNet can`t do it....... can someone please write a style for the PlusNet site, similar colour scheme to Flickr on Beige......and upload it...
hadden
Grafter

OK, I was tempted, so here's a go at a Stylish style...

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("plus.net") {
html, body {background-image:none!important;background-color:#AFAF8E!important;}
body div {background-color:#AFAF8E!important;}
#sitemap, .sitemap-col, #dFoot, .dFootblock, #footCorners {background-color: #695564!important;}
#footer_illustration {background-color: #FFFFFF!important;}
#productbox, .productcolumn, .rightbox {background-image:none !important;}
#searcharea div, #searcharea ul, #searcharea li {background-color: #ab1c6c!important;}
#searcharea a, #searcharea label {color:#ffffff!important;}
.halfbox, #faqlist, #productbox, .productcolumn, .introcolumn {background-image:none!important; background-color:#BFBF9E!important;}
#comHeaderContainer {background-image: url('../images/com_hdr_bg.gif')!important;}
#comHeaderContainer div {background-color:transparent!important;}
.catbg3, .msgbg1 td {background-color: #BFBF9E!important; background-image: none!important;}
#bodyarea, #dContent {border:8px solid #9F9F7E!important;}
}

It doesn't work everywhere, so there are odd white bits on some pages, so it could be improved  Smiley
.. and the warranty ran out on it 1 second before you read this.
shutter
Community Veteran

Have you uploaded it to "styles" ..... and what is the title to look for, ?
hadden
Grafter

No, I haven't uploaded it, but you can easily use it by copying and pasting the code into Stylish on your own PC:
[list type=decimal]
  • Right-click the Stylish icon

• Select "Write new style" from the popup menu

• Then select "Blank style..." from the next menu.

• Give the style a name.

• Copy the code and paste it into the main text area.

• Click Save

• shutter
    Community Veteran

OK thanks,.... will give it a go... !
    shutter
    Community Veteran

Have done it.... Brilliant.... Looks really smart .... and definitely much easier on the eyes.... Great stuff...
    hadden
    Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion  Smiley
    I'm now using it myself as well.
    I'll have a look at some of the missing bits later.
    shutter
    Community Veteran

I see nothing wrong with it!.... the "missing bits", presumably are the lighter (original) areas, which, I think "add" to the effect.... I think it works pretty well as it is... Well Done...
    shutter
    Community Veteran

For those who want to see the difference...
    Oldjim
    Resting Legend
    Fixes: 63

As a purely personal opinion - that is awful  Roll_eyes
    MauriceC
    Resting Legend
    Fixes: 17

Add a "Me too" to Oldjims' opinion.  A retrograde step IMHO

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
    Community Veteran

Well, each to his own!    Roll_eyes    You could ask JohnJ to change the Hex colours for a different shade.... to suit your personal taste of course.!  Wink
    shutter
    Community Veteran

UPDATE.....
    If you want to use this "style" on Stylish with Google Chrome, then you need to remove the following line....
    @-moz-document domain("plus.net") {
    and it should work ok....
    Wink