Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toaster pop-up alert

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Toaster pop-up alert

Has anyone else noticed the same toaster alert message popping up repeatedly across several screen refreshes?

Someone liked a post, I saw the pop-up twice on the current page (one above the other).  Clicked one of them to take me to the post, where the toaser alert popped up again.  Went to my notifications list and saw it again.

Ought not the first page navigation have 'muted' the toaster alert?

In case its relevant I'm using @jaread83's favourite browser - Safari on a mimi iPad!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

10 REPLIES 10
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Toaster pop-up alert

Yes and it's particularly annoying when accompanied with the ranking bug.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Townman   Not seen that problem (yet Smiley).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've seen it quite often.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

This seems to happen when you switch between pages when the notification popup happens. I don't think it registers as being displayed in the system until a few seconds after it appears. I have clicked the toaster popup to go directly to the page and then it displays again when I get there. But this depends how quick I am about it. If I leave the notification to run its animation and then dissapear, it will not show up again when I visit another page.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah the issue is we navigate pages too quickly?

There again, I saw no toaster to say you'd replied here ... it is quirky! Funny

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Do you have many tabs open for this site? When the toaster popup happens, it will display on all tabs and might not display at all if too many are open as it requires a bit of script to listen for notification alerts.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 - You can fix this by changing the 'displayed' marker to update when the popup pops up, rather than after. Is that easy to do?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jack,

Just the one tab.

Would you know if the toaster is active on the post editing page?  If not that might explain why I'm not seeing response to post toasters that frequently!

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Anonymous wrote:

@jaread83 - You can fix this by changing the 'displayed' marker to update when the popup pops up, rather than after. Is that easy to do?

I sincerely wished I had that kind of access to the core... but I don't.

As for listening on the reply/edit/compose pages.. yes as far as I know. In fact, I just received this while writing this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 14.37.54.png

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Surely that is correct if you have subscribed to the Community Site Feedback board? There are three reasons why you should be notified.

What is perhaps needed is a request to Lithium to roll up multiple notifications to a single pop-up giving all the reasons

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)