cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread options > Subscribe to RSS Feed Broken?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thread options > Subscribe to RSS Feed Broken?

Just what the subject says really. I selected this option from the "Re: Quality of Service Page replacement in Plusnet Feedback" thread so I could be notified of replies to Townman's post, but I was presented with this:

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 16.25.27.png

This was not what I was expecting so I tried another post and I got this:

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 16.25.47.png

I don't ever recall seeing anything like this before; in fact if I am right then the subscription process is silent with the exception of a 'green' banner appearing at the top of the page to acknowledge the request.

25 REPLIES 25
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Thread options > Subscribe to RSS Feed Broken?

I just tried the RSS subscription on the thread you found to render weird and it looks like the second screenshot

https://community.plus.net/aptgm87544/rss/message?board.id=Plusnet&message.id=76733

Can you post any other links that are not working for the RSS? I would be interested in raising this with Lithium to look into further (as I have no control over this code).

Cheers

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 - On this very thread I get :

RSS Feed

I've obviously cut the remainder but it is similar in output the the second image above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And I get this on another:

Same as first image but different thread.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 09.30.36.png

This is what I see.

Can you provide the link please?

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just subscribed to the RSS feed of this topic using FeedDemon and it's working exactly as it should.

I'm puzzled by your reference to the green tick which is what you would expect to see if you subscribed to the thread (the option below Bookkmark in the Thread Options menu).

Are you getting the two confused?

Edit: I can't see anything wrong with the screen shots you've posted - in all cases they are what I'd expect to see if you visit the pages using a browser and not a feed reader.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jelv, yes as regards the green you are correct that's for the 'Subscribe' option, it's been a while since I used it last.

Subscribe(d)

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay, I think we have narrowed it down to when the green banner is visible (after subscribing) and then clicking the 'subscribe to RSS' as I can now replicate this very odd behaviour.

With this information I can go to Lithium to look into so they can also replicate and fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 - If it helps them (or you) I am using FireFox 52.0.2 (64-bit) on macOS Sierra v 10.12.3.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Just what is odd or broken? As far as I can see it is working correctly.

I cannot think of any circumstances under which a green tick would be displayed as the action to subscribe is taken by the local RSS client - not at the server.

@Anonymous Which RSS feed reader are you using? How does what you are seeing differ from another feed such as http://www.thinkbroadband.com/rss/full/

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay... i can't get this to replicate anymore even after the steps above.

Now I don't know what is causing the RSS to break.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@@jaread83 and @jelv, the green banner reference was a mistake I confused it with the 'Subecribe' option and the reader is the Live Bookmarks.

So just to clarify, can someone tell me what is the correct and expected behaviour is when the "Subscribe to RSS Feed" option is selected?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It should take you to the RSS feed in your browser with the option to subscribe or you can take the URL and put it into your RSS feed reader. It has been a very long time since I last used RSS.

It also varies between browsers, on FF it gives you the option to subscribe to the RSS feed:

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 15.27.50.png

Once subscribed, I can keep the 'Live Bookmarks' thing on my FF menu and it shows up like this:

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 15.31.30.png

But as I said.. haven't used RSS in over a decade and wasn't even sure if anyone used it here (but wanted to give you all that option in case anyone wanted to use it).

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you change the order of the menu? If so I'd suggest moving the RSS option to the bottom.

Subscribe is the one 99% of users will want with only a very few advanced users wanting to use RSS.