cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested WP plugins

Tamlyn
Grafter

Suggested WP plugins

Wordpress has so many cool plugins! Here are a few that I think would benefit the community site blogs. What do you think? Any other suggestions?
Link Love - removes 'rel=nofollow' for commenters who have more than x approved comments. Repays regular users with a bit of trust and all-important pr.
Digg This or Digg That - Add a digg count and 'digg this' button to posts that have already been submitted.
Ultimate Tag Warrior - Our use of categories is pretty haphazard at the moment. We should use categories to signify the type of post (e.g. announcement, random thought, question, official news...) and then use tags to signify the post subject (e.g. javascript, nagios, floods, talktalk...). These tags could link to technorati and provide a useful search feature.
Google Sitemaps Generator - A little something to aid google crawling the site.
Related Posts - not sure how effective this is at automatically determining which posts are related but if it works it would be pretty useful.
Subscribe to comments - allow commenters to be notified by email when someone replies to a post they are monitoring. Not everyone knows how (or can be bothered) to subscribe to the comment RSS feed.
Optimal Title - moves the post title to the front of the <title> which is better for SEO and usability.
WP-Cache - apparently greatly improves performance. Might be required if (when!) we get dugg to the front page.
Popularity Contest - Show a list of the most popular posts based on views, trackbacks and comments. Useful for new visitors.
Permalink Redirect - Not sure if this is still a problem but this ensures that each post is only available under a single URL so as not to present duplicate content to google (and webtrends).
9 REPLIES 9
Tamlyn
Grafter

Re: Suggested WP plugins

BBCode Parser - for more consistency between the forum and blogs
Tamlyn
Grafter

AJAX Comments - keeps you place on the page when submitting a blog comment.
Tamlyn
Grafter

Tamlyn
Grafter

Now that wordpress 2.3 has built in tagging support, scrap ultimate tag warrior and, if necessary, try Simple Tags for advanced tagging goodness such as tag auto-suggest and type-ahead auto-completion.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: Tamlyn
Wordpress has so many cool plugins! Here are a few that I think would benefit the community site blogs. What do you think? Any other suggestions?
Digg This or Digg That - Add a digg count and 'digg this' button to posts that have already been submitted.

This is already being used is it not?
Related Posts - not sure how effective this is at automatically determining which posts are related but if it works it would be pretty useful.

Hmmmm, I'm guessing this uses a similar related-post method as SMF. Not sure how much I would use it personally, but may be of use to others.
WP-Cache - apparently greatly improves performance. Might be required if (when!) we get dugg to the front page.

Not checked to see what this one does entirely, but if it does what is claimed, then I'd agree it would be a good choice.

The ones I haven't quoted are the ones I wouldn't really see much use for them, except the Google sitemap one (might be useful if it helps from a PlusNet perspective, not sure what happens with/without it really).
How about jargonBeGone? That's a great plugin Wink hehe.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
How about jargonBeGone? That's a great plugin Wink hehe.

Once it's bug free Wink
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

It is now, just waiting on Colin updating the beta site and you'll see it in all its glory Tongue
Can PM you a link to my test WP site to see it running if you like.
Colin
Grafter

Should be on the beta site now.
Cheers
Colin
Tamlyn
Grafter

Extended Live Archives could be a useful alternative to the flat list of archived blog content for those browsers that support it. Something that allows viewing by tags & author would be even better!