Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split topics

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Split topics

See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Plusnet-seems-to-ignore-communiocations-am-I-doing-it-wong/m-...

The poster who started the main topic had been following the wrong topic as it still had the same name (with a Re: prefix). When you get email notifications the subject on both topics is identical.

I wonder if when a topic is split it night be better if the subject on the first post in the split topic was edited to make it clearer. Perhaps replace the Re: with [split]. The draw back is that I fear the subject would need to be changed on all replies to the split topic so that subsequent replies have the correct subject in the notification emails.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
5 REPLIES 5
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Split topics

As it stands, there is no way to change the subject line all in one go when splitting a thread (i could be mistaken.. have never split a thread myself). This is probably why the mods opt for keeping the original subject line as it would mean going through all the posts and changing the subject of every reply individually. This would be up to the mods and their processing of splitting threads though.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mav
Fixes: 514

We do try to edit the titles of the first post after splitting a thread where necessary and this is usually reflected in a mod note in the first post and/or an extra note in the mod post detailing the split. This can get overlooked occasionally as splitting is not so straight-forward as it used to be.

@jaread83 is right as there is no simple way to change the titles on each post on a newly split topic. Sometimes if there is only a few posts this can get done but more than a few becomes time-consuming.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I agree with @Mav splitting posts can be a real pain AND as @jelv observes can cause confusion to readers post the split.  It shouldn't be that difficult a task to include an option in the "Split thread" function of the base Lithium software.  Possibly another suggestion for an addition by Lithium?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

This is something the Lithium community has been trying to get implemented via their ideas board. Searching their ideas board yields around 3 threads about this topic.

I have just bumped one of the threads to see if I can get any sort of response about it.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks @jaread83  it seems such a fundamental requirement that there should be a "use case" for?

But it is Lithium.  SIGH Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.