Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should PN upgrade to a new forum ??

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Should PN upgrade to a new forum ??

SMF allows posting of attachments (including images) by default. They must have disallowed images in the permissions on some of the boards.
But look here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=520872.0 - it can't be across the board.
Were you logged in on their forums when you tried?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not a member of the forum and that link takes you to a login screen
Can you post a link to a thread where there are attachments included
TORPC
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend

The question isn't whether the software permits it
It is whether the Community Forum there allows them
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That was a link to a post with an attachment!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is a board where non members don't have access
Looking at the open boards I can't see any attachments
chrcoluk
Grafter

keep this forum, the only issue I have with it is that it randomly goes really slow.
A new forum I imagine would be following the trend of "optimising for touch devices" and then be aweful on a computer. so no thanks.
This forum is at least mouse friendly doesnt have large fonts, isnt mobile/touch style and fills the width of my widescreen display.
look at something like digitalspy forum to see what modernisation can do, yuck.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I am sure that you will point out I am wrong but a quick glance the Simple Machines Forum doesn't allow image uploads only links
If this is the case this could be the problem as is shown by the number of times posts with uploaded images hang
I have no idea what the total forum server load is with and without the images but I would imagine that the difference is significant

I have installed on localhost to see what the default settings are on the latest version

Hope this helps Wink
picbits
Rising Star

Now integrate your new forum with the Plusnet backend, link the forum accounts to the backend accounts and report back when finished.
The forum is fine for what it is, what it needs to do and works for me >99% of the time.
If Plusnet sorted out the server issues then there wouldn't be the freezing problem on the posting / lag / etc.
Having been through many moves on large forums (user to admin level) I can appreciate the issues that can be caused by the move - a couple of forums I used took a few years to iron out all of the bugs on vBulletin when they did a big upgrade.
If it aint too broke then don't fix it too much !
TORPC
Grafter

if only PlusNet would grant me permissions then I would
Alternatively PN can do a test from default board to selected member(s) for testing
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You keep posting information that Simple Machines allows attachments  - we know it does
The point I was making which you seem unable to comprehend was, that as far as I could see, the Simple Machines Community Forum doesn't allow attachments at least on the boards I can see not being logged in
This has got absolutely nothing to do with whether the software allows it
jelv
Seasoned Hero

To clarify what Jim is saying: he is suggesting that allowing attachment of images and the viewing of them is a significant overhead and that my comparison with the SMF community forums is invalid because there are nothing like the number of attachments on there compared with here.
What it doesn't explain is the glitches we often see when just viewing posts or making posts without attachments.
picbits
Rising Star

I thought the glitches were caused by PN using a couple of different IP addresses (or servers) for the forums and occasionally things got confuddled and the wrong IP / Server replied to the initial request.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I agree with that although in my opinion if they managed to sort the attachment problem then the others would be much less of an actual problem and just may be solvable without the attachment problem getting in the way.
I also suspect that the server system is struggling largely because of the volume of attachments
There is/was a beta forum where non of these problems appeared but it is a lot smaller
chrcoluk
Grafter

The issues with this forum almost certianly can be fixed by proper software configuration/tuning,  But like the issues with plusnet's backend/ordering system amongst other things I suspect the main problem here is either plusnet dont have staff to manage this or not enough staff, as so many things on plusnet's software side seem left unattended with no fix/maintenance.  The only things I see changing on plusnet's site is their marketing/produict pages.
The most expensive part of running a forum is usually the database queries not attachments.