cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Security

There should be a defined group on the forum for security issues. At the moment security questions are all over the place, and there is no recognized expertise on the forums.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Security

@mechanic123 - That's a good idea so are you putting yourself forward for this, as an expert I mean?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@mechanic123

Why?

Security about whatever could just as easily go in the forum about whatever. I can't imagine there are going to be many instances where people are actually going to need to read a security advisory and take some steps described in it themselves to fix a security issue. Anything serious would have to be fixed automatically / remotely (such as a router firmware update), or for other issues (like account or personal data related), then I expect Plusnet would have to contact the affected customers directly.

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Why? Because people might find it useful to be able to ask questions about security issues in one place  where after a while local expertese might be available. At present, questions  about Plusnet routers, email privacy and Huawei equipment in use by PN might turn up on different groups. Where do people go for the latest advice on password changing? (Don't do it as a regular task). Simple - setup a Security sub forum somewhere in the list. At Talktalk it took a major breach and a personal letter from Dido to literally millions of customers to raise general awareness that security was not high enough on the management agenda. Plusnet shouldn't wait for that horse to bolt before shutting the stable door, so to speak.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.