Did you mean: 

SIte load process / performance

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: SIte load process / performance

@jaread83 wrote:
Live chat should be available to use here on the Community as far as I am aware - not that I can see it ... there is an exception in the script that makes it so it doesn't appear when I am on the internal internet.

Interesting!!

I see no Live Chat here either - looks like nugatory payload / burden / flab in the page?  I would not expect this "space" to go anywhere neat live chat … all of that should be behind the link to and contained within https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/?_ga=2.85390425.1374506237.1541341187-111035287.14992127... (top right hand option).

Is there some possibility that this payload is bundled up in the Plusnet page wrapper (along with other baggage?) regardless of the need for it to be used in the rendered space?

In seeking to create a consistent theme across a number of vehicles, I can see the possibility that in all environments the same wrapper is called, which not only renders a consistent appearance but also delivers a common set of functional payloads - REGARDLESS of the intent to use them.  Thereby client-server bandwidth is elevated and client side rendering and processing is exasperated!!  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The "overlapping" HTML comes for a HTML coding error for the FORUM button...

<a href="/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum" class="headernav-buttons-forum"><span>Forum<span></a>

Which should read

<a href="/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum" class="headernav-buttons-forum"><span>Forum</span></a>

The nested <body> error report seems odd - the HTML looks fine!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@jaread83 Sorry to bring this up - again - but I'm still getting increasingly long 'waiting for ........' notification after clicking board headers and topics, although the topics usually load fairly quickly.

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

It seems slow on the connection I am on currently (at plusnet) but when trying on my 4G connection on the phone the pages load instantly. Not sure what to make of that.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

FYI I have sent Lithium an email asking it to be looked at on their side. It seems to be very sluggish today.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, Jack.Smiley

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Townman wrote:

@jaread83,

Is anything happening in regards the page jumping around behaviour on loading please?

Hi @jaread83,

Would you know if Lithium have implemented any changes which might have modified this behaviour with Win10 Edge?

The experience is MUCH improved today … aside from the post page, they all load much more smoothly, no jumping up and down, no visibility of a grid being built at the bottom of the page.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I take it all back … it is very variable!!  I am seeing pages load fine and pages bounce around all over the place.  Sometimes I see the page bounce and the grid at the bottom (as per the video I sent) and other times I see nothing but sweet fast rendering.  What has Lithium made of that video please?

Thinking back to various comments made about this challenging heap of code, I recall mentions of the service being multiple instanced and there being stuff cached... leading to inconsistent behaviours.

Is it possible that some part (one or more instances) of this system are not as up to date as other bits?  Is it possible that one or more caches are stale?  How else might such very different performances (screen load to screen load) be otherwise explained?

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 wrote:
FYI I have sent Lithium an email asking it to be looked at on their side. It seems to be very sluggish today.

Any movement from Lithium on this @jaread83? It is very erratic - but the occasional fast loading is far outweighed by the number of times I can be sat here watching paint dry before it connects.

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nothing yet @jab1 but they are looking into it. I have been experiencing the forums loading really quickly and then suddenly very slowly. I have identified a js library that sometimes 404's (hosted by google of all places so shouldn't do that). So I have removed it and replaced it with another version hosted elsewhere. It might be something but we shall see.

jab1
Legend

FYI, Jack, it has had ZERO  effect, it is still like watching paint dry, whether I click on board headers or topics.

Strangely, reloading the forum is as near as dammit instant.Huh

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I havent put any changes live yet.

jab1
Legend

OOOOPS EmbarrassedSmiley

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have pushed some changes live this morning.
Fixes include:
dodgy jquery CDN location updated to a new CDN (pages were waiting for this file to load and sometimes never got the file. Google may have moved it elsewhere or is having issues with the server it is hosted on).
malformed HTML in the main header with a <span> tag not being ended on the forum button.

I am hoping that the new CDN for the version of jquery will help stop some of those very long page load times. The malformed html will not affect anything as browsers can easily render such things anyway - fixed it anyway while I was making changes.

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 - Still taking an age to load boards and threads - although if I am quick enough to click a thread before the board has fully loaded, the thread opens instantly.Huh

John