Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIte load process / performance

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: SIte load process / performance

Thats when I noticed it really bad, but it has been a bit flaky for the last two or three days.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@jaread83,

Is anything happening in regards the page jumping around behaviour on loading please?

I'm finding that I can see the page render, click on a link, see the page shuffle … and the click 'land' on something else.

Also the page shuffling is 'negating' the display at relevant post, as in for example clicking the post link in a notification.  The page starts to render, displaying at the book mark, then scrolls to the bottom and then displays from the top of the page.

Is this on someone's radar please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jaread83,

For other reasons (using some aspects of WordPress) I have found the unpalatable necessity to use Chrome.

Having become somewhat frustrated by Lithium's appalling page load and rendering experience / performance, out of curiosity I have just tried the community using Chrome.

It is better but still not perfect, so there could be issues with Lithium's support for the "default" Win 10 browser - MS Edge.

The post page still jumps around but it does so a bit quicker, but still not fast!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@jab1 wrote:

@jaread83 Morning Jack. Sorry to disturb you -again- but clicking on a board header is resulting in a 'waiting for community.plus.net' delay of anything from 8 to 15 seconds again, 4-6 seconds to open a thread. Any idea why this happens?

I have done my usual check using the TT and Virgin communities, and they as usual are almost instant.Huh

Page loading still horribly slow, @jaread83 - clicking board headers still an average of 12 seconds, topics 9 seconds and replies to posts 7/8 seconds. Again, checking on TT and Virgin DOES NOT exhibit this slowness.

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I am not sure why the page speeds are being as slow as they are so I have emailed Lithium support again following the restart that was performed last week to see if they can look into it. They might ask me to produce a HAR file for affected pages - its like an activity log you can download on Chrome that they can have a look at to diagnose issues.
Some good news though - I have fixed the online user component to have 2 requests to the server instead of 302 and I am in the process of getting the code reviewed and QA to take a look at that before going live (as it's a custom component, its my responsibility to maintain that).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the follow-up, @jaread83. It must be something on their end unique to PN - see my TT/Virgin comments. A an experiment, I'll take my laptop to my neighbour ( on SKY) and my mum (on Virgin) when I get chance, and see if the problem persists - I suspect it will. Sorry,  I won't be able help with the Chrome log thing - I'm afraid that browser is coming nowhere near my laptop.Smiley

Good news and thanks for the online user component modification - wonder if that will make any difference, although I doubt it.

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jab1 wrote:

I won't be able help with the Chrome log thing - I'm afraid that browser is coming nowhere near my laptop.Smiley

I share the same sentiment there @jab1 - I am a Firefox user and Chrome is awful - but it has the best web development tools available so it forces my industry to use it in some way.

I will let you know when the online user component is live, i hope it helps in some way. As for IE bugs mentioned to Townman - I am not sure if I am able to resolve this issue but I can certainly have a dig around and see whats going on.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jaread83,

Has anything been done with the Video file I sent via Jono please?  Would some HAR files from Edge (where is see most problems) help any?

i share the distain for Chrome too, but I need it for some Wordpress tool functionality.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Townman - a .HAR file from Edge would be greatly appreciated as I can send that over to Lithium support to investigate. Here are the steps Lithium have given me for creating the .HAR file. If you can email jono with the file, he will forward it over to me and then I shall attach it to the Lithium support case.

Chrome

1. Go to the page where you are experiencing the issue.
  2. Open the Chrome menu bar and go to More Tools > Developer Tools.
  3. In the developer console that displays on the bottom of your screen, click the Network tab.
  4. Click the checkbox next to Preserve log.
  5. Now, reproduce the issue you are experiencing.
  6. When you reproduce the issue, right-click on any of the events that were captured and click Save as HAR with Content.
  7. Attach the .HAR file to your Lithium Support case.

Firefox

1. Go to the page where you are experiencing the issue.
  2. Open your Firefox menu bar and go to Developer > Network.  (On Mac use: Tools > Web Developer > Network)
  3. Now, reproduce the issue you are experiencing.
  4. When you reproduce the issue, right-click on any of the events that were captured and click Save All As HAR.
  5. Attach the .HAR file to your Lithium Support case.

Note: Internet Explorer does allow you to export network data into a .XML file, but if a .HAR file can be captured with the above browsers that would be preferred.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jaread83

Place holder for reply after capturing .HAR file on Edge.

Hi Jack,

I have sent the .HAR file and console error log to you via @JonoH

I used Win10 Edge as that is my preferred browser and the environment within which I see more problems / the problems are more visible.  This is the sequence covered by the diagnostics sent (a .HAR file from any browser ought to be useful!!) …

1. From an empty log
  2. Accidently navigated to BLOGS
  3. Navigated to the forum
  4. Opened the Community Feedback board
  5. Opened this topic
  6. Posted this as a place holder to generate the diagnostics

I saw the usual page jumping around and the creation of a submit query grid at the bottom of the page.

In looking at the navigation log, I can see references to...

• Live person 
  • Edigital survey
  • Google analytics
  • doubleclick.net
  • Google Ads
  • lpsnmedia
  • AppDynamics.com
  • Google APIs
  • Cloudflare
  • Naked Lithium
  • Naked Plus.net
  • OMTrdc
  • Googletag manager
  • lcloud
  • ...I gave up looking

There is also badly formed HTML, but nothing overly different to that I have reported elsewhere still waiting review.

Is it possible that the issues we are seeing here are more to do with the Plusnet "wrapper" rather than lithium, especially given the perception that other lithium sites do not exhibit the same problems?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for sending this over. I have forwarded the file over to Lithium support by uploading it directly to the support portal case.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman wrote:

There is also badly formed HTML, but nothing overly different to that I have reported elsewhere still waiting review.

Is it possible that the issues we are seeing here are more to do with the Plusnet "wrapper" rather than lithium, especially given the perception that other lithium sites do not exhibit the same problems?

The wrapper is fine as far as I can see. All of the scripts that are running are out of my hands unfortunately but they shouldn't conflict with anything here.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Jack,

Any thoughts on why the community pages are calling liveperson (chat) services … or the other multitude of odd ball stuff?

If I believe the diagnostic reports at face value, then I am seeing the same nested <body> tag warnings on the PN portal page … which is nothing to do with lithium.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Live chat should be available to use here on the Community as far as I am aware - not that I can see it ... there is an exception in the script that makes it so it doesn't appear when I am on the internal internet.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In other news, the 'online user' component has gone through QA and is now live. The homepage should be a bit quicker to load now as I have reduced the requests down from 302 to 2.