Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIte load process / performance

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

SIte load process / performance

Of recent times (3 months?) I've noticed that site page loading is not as swift as it used to be.  Most notably I see multiple changes of fonts, often starting with the normal Plusnet fonts, changing through one or more other fonts before finally rendering correctly.  Sometimes these changes do not complete leaving the rendering incorrect.

Capture fonts.JPG

The observed behaviour somewhat suggests...

1. Something is changing the CSS - is that code in the skin?  If yes, why are there multiple sets of conflicting styles?
  2. CSS files are being reloaded on every page load - why are they not set to be cached?
  3. Why does the page sometimes end rendered incorrectly?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

110 REPLIES 110
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: SIte load process / performance

This seems to have been happening ever since the GDPR cookie banner was introduced (3 months ago). The banner itself lives in a central location and has its own JS, CSS and HTML markup. The banner has to import custom CSS into the page wherever it is called and with it comes the plusnet font being served from our servers. It may be conflicting with the community CSS as the font is hosted on our servers but the font I implemented here is hosted on the community servers. I will have to raise an internal bug to take a look at this so it can be investigated properly. Sometimes it works but sometimes it does not and I am unsure why this would happen.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I too have this problem tho' the incorrect font first happened much longer ago than 3months. I did ask about it and jarad83 replied to me, tho' I can't remember what his reply said or when I first asked the question. 

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I've noticed this recently too. The community site at times seems painfully slow with page loading. Fonts still disappear and reappear. Thought it was an issue with my setup, even though all other Web activity normal. Even pressing the back key, it seems to be reloading the page from scratch
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi @jaread83,

Is there any news arising from the bug report please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I beleive that some bugs have been fixed RE the GDPR banner (IE11 bug specifically) and is waiting for release but reproducing the forum loading slowly without the fonts due to the banner is proving hard to replicate.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The Community has been slow over the past weeks but today is almost unworkable for me.

I clicked 'Like' on a post and it was around 15 seconds before it refreshed.

I did a speed check and my broadband is running at 75Mbs down and 16Mbs up so no problems there.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

I agree - Community is still very slow to load, mine hangs at the beginning - when I click on say 'Broadband' in the main menu, it can take up to 10 seconds stuck on 'waiting for community.plus.net' but thereafter everything is rapid. This not a fault with my connection/system - other sites load almost instantly, including a number hosted in the U.S.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Since making the above post I have done as suggested here and cleared the browser's cache and things are a little faster.

I'm a big fan of coincidences but hoping this is not one of them....we shall see.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

@Strat See me post - this is community that is the problem - I don't get the delay with other sites, including the other bits of PN (Members Centre &c)

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The forums are hosted completely seperate from any of our other sites. They are hosted by Lithium on servers in the Netherlands and have nothing to do with our other sites and services. So any issues coming from the member centre, main website etc would have no effect on the forums.

I have checked the performance graphs and the most heavy component being loaded is the 'online users' part on the homepage and forum page. The average page load time in the last 200 page loads has been 302ms for the homepage and that's the slowest page. What I will do is keep an eye on the graph periodically and see if it spikes at any time at all.

Here is the graph:

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 16.33.24.png

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 In my case, it is not the actual loading time that is the problem, rather the length of time before the Lithium server responds - this can vary from almost instantly (rare) to anything up to 12-15 seconds.

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Performance is pretty dire this morning?  Even a simple 'click' on Like / Thanks is taking 3 / 4 seconds; new pages load (slowly) and then after 3 / 4 secs have a page refresh as the fonts change.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This isn't something I have any control over unfortunately. I have sent a support request directly to Lithium as last time I reported it, they pointed me to the performance graphs and said there weren't any issues. The only significantly slow parts of the site is the 'online users' component on the homepage and forum page but if the slow down is in the thread view - then my custom component shouldn't be causing a slow down. The fonts are even uploaded and hosted to Lithium servers so there shouldn't be an issue there either.

I will see what Lithium support says and let you all know as and when I hear back. So far I have received an email confirming receipt of my support request and that it is being reviewed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Serious lag on the site and notification emails.

I can't be the only one to notice this, but the entire site is running really slow and I got an email from a subscribed thread delivered to me over two hours after when it said it was sent!