cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset password generates Error Message

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reset password generates Error Message

I have been trying to reset my password as required.

I can get the e-mail ( in fact I have had three or four goes), but each time I get to the Reset password screen and  enter a new password I get an error

X Error message

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.
Sorry, we are unable to reset your password.

Nothing is highlighted, and the passwords are 10-12 characters long. I have tried with and without uppercase or numerics

I have created this with a temporary e-mail address to get on and request help.

The Username was wisty

Hope someone can help.

18 REPLIES 18
help_me

Re: Reset password generates Error Message

Same here. Went through the Reset password and got an email. Entered my new password (now exceeded how many times I can do that) and got an error message each time I did so. Currently got online to the forum by registering again but would like my original username back.

Quite obviously there is a problem that needs fixing!

PlusnetLiam
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi guys

We'll get on to this first thing - apologies, seems a little strange.

Can you DM @Chris & @HarryB your usernames and we'll take a look and see if there's a bigger issue we need to report.

help_me

Done thanks. Smiley

PlusnetLiam
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Guys can you send me the URL you're getting the error on please?

Thanks
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

OK problem solved

The password reset mechanism appears to rely on Javascript working on the browser being used.

My principle browser these days is MS Edge on Windows 10. By default ( and I don't know any way to enable it) Edge stops Java script running.

By running the reset using Firefox with Java enabled (not a browser I usually use), I managed to successfully change the password.

I suspect that you will see more and more problems with users using Edge if the new forum is dependent on Java.

Now I need to work out how to delete my "other" temporary persona!

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

If you message one of the community team with the temporary username they will be able to remove it. They might ask you to log in to that temporary account and send the message from there (then it verifies that it is indeed that account that needs to be deleted).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

How do I find the PM addresses of the community team?

MartyPop
Rising Star

From my own experience with this, the password reset emails appear to have a "use by" date on them. I made a number of password reset requests yesterday but none of the emails arrived by the time I turned off my PC. On checking for mail this morning, they have arrived but after clicking on the link in every email, I was getting an error to the effect that the "token had expired". I requested yet another password reset this morning which arrived more or less immediately and after clicking on the link in the email, I was able to reset my password.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Can you message me the headers from one of the delayed password reset emails you received?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@wisty wrote:

How do I find the PM addresses of the community team?

@PlusnetLiam wrote:

Can you DM @Chris & @HarryB your usernames and we'll take a look and see if there's a bigger issue we need to report.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

help_me

Sorted. I usually use Firefox but this evening when I asked for and received another password reset link, I opened it up using Opera. No problems resetting it.

awontroba1

I too got the "sorry we cannot do that" message.

So here I am with a new username and email address.

Unimpressed by that, and the look of the new forum. So much wasted screen space.

--
Was adrianw
MartyPop
Rising Star

@bobpullen wrote:

Can you message me the headers from one of the delayed password reset emails you received?

I did that yesterday, did you receive it?

Since then though, another issue has arisen:

After finally managing to reset my password, I decided to change my forum email address and the verification email for that took something like 21 hours to reach my mail host's server!!

kmilburn
Grafter

There's another element to resetting password that'll cause issues. 

If you use the plain text message and the client in use highlights the link automatically,  following that link will ultimately fail because it will almost certainly drop the '..' at the end of the link.