cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for local resource in 'Unread Post View'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Request for local resource in 'Unread Post View'

I think this is one for @jaread83. I always use this URL to load the unread posts from the forum and this morning I’ve noticed an oddity.

On clicking this link from my browser’s (FireFox 51.0.1 on Mac) toolbar I noticed that the loader icon on the tab was rotating clockwise for a considerable amount of time, and by considerable I mean at least a couple of minutes.

I opened the Developer tools window and reloaded the page and this is what I saw!

Now this is odd!

Oops!

3 REPLIES 3
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Request for local resource in 'Unread Post View'

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm surprised you hadn't figured out what is going on already...

The link is to the 'full' unread page meaning that it is pulling in content from the posts that other people have created. Someone, somewhere, has included a link to an image in their post that is located at a local IP address (probably the router admin panel?) so obviously it isn't going to work if those local resources are not available to you Smiley That is why you are getting the spinning icon... because you can't access that resource at 192.168.1.254...

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

As an aside, I would never, ever reference an image located at a local IP address... because I know that would be utterly silly of me to do. The issue lies with someone elses post content.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest @jaread83, that scenario never entered my mind, as I assumed that doing such a thing would be error trapped, but what you says makes sense, so thanks for the reply.