cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: password problems

patti
Grafter

Hi, I can log into the member centre but when I try to log into the community centre it keeps saying invalid. I have to reset my password every time. Can you help?

11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The username and password for the community are not related to your member centre account. Once you've reset the password for here once, you should then just be able to keep logging in with the same details here.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
patti
Grafter

Chris, every time I am asked to sign in to the Community Centre and I type in the new password I have made and it just refuses to let me in and keeps saying it is invalid. Therefore I have to go through the whole re-setting of my password every time I want to access the community. 

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Did you use the link in the confirmation email?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your browser isn't storing an old password is it?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen, and managed to repeat, a problem when entering my password for this site.

I think there may be a spurious invisible character already present somewhere in the password entry field, which causes the login to fail, despite the user apparently entering their correct password.

The other day, I was flushing my browser of all Plusnet related cookies, cache, history, etc in an attempt to overcome an unrelated issue with this forum.

Having cleared everything, of course the browser no longer knew my forum password, so I type my password correctly - but it told me that it was invalid !!!

I repeated this, in the unlikely event that I had finger trouble, but no it failed again.

To make absolutely sure that I had the correct password string, I typed my password string into a text editor, checked it, then copy and pasted it into the forum password entry field, but it failed again !

I repeated the paste, and noticed that the cursor wasn't exactly at the end of where my password had been entered, so I did a few forward deletes at after the password, and a few backward deletes before the password, and after that my password was accepted !

To make sure my pasted password didn't contain an unexpected characters, I pasted it into a different text editor, and that showed that only the visible characters that I was expecting were in the string.

So all I can imagine, is that somewhere in the password entry field, there is a hidden control character, or a space, which gets appended to a valid password entry, causing it to be deemed invalid !

Crazy

Anotherone
Champion

Well Huh  not had that problem, and I have had to enter my password manually when logging in from a different mobile browser. How odd.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone wrote:

Well Huh  not had that problem

You always say that ! - perhaps you should get a job in customer service, as that is their standard response too !  Roll_eyes

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding copy/paste not working I haven't seen it here but using Ctrl plus V rather than copy via the mouse solved it

Anotherone
Champion

@Anonymous wrote:

- perhaps you should get a job in customer service .....

Nah Undecided I'd be telling you to connect a TG582n into the Test socket and use a proper Windows machine and Internet Explorer  Funny  I don't think you'd be too keen on that one Crazy3

patti
Grafter

Hi all, thank you for your replies.. glad I'm not the only one. I will try the delete spaces before and after to see if that works, otherwise it is a real pain! 

Ben1
Grafter

I'm having the same problem as patti. I have simplified my latest password to something a six year old could spell (not that its that any more) just to test it and it STILL fails. Saving it as Lastpass entry doesn't help.