Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Computer classifieds?

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

PJ,
For very obvious reasons to you I 100% agree with you.
However, if I may be allowed one little crit' restricting it to 14 days at this time of year with the build up to, and the wind down from Christmas and New Year taking up a good deal of that period, may I suggest extending that time a bit?
Regards
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable

Quote from: PJ
Vote for me as moderator and I'll have the power to change it  Cheesy

No, you'll have the power to make the suggestion to the community and see what the result is! (erm, which is the same as now.....)
Have changed poll to 28days.
My 2p;
The classifieds board is generally deathly quiet anyhow, splitting the stuff that can be posted there into two categories would surely make it more quiet, and consequently even less valuable.
chillypenguin
Grafter

As James said the classifieds board is hardly used, there has even been the suggestion to remove it. It certainly does not justify two boards.
Have you ever seen www.ebay.co.uk they have a much busier classifieds section  Wink
Chilly
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: chillypenguin
there has even been the suggestion to remove it.

I agree with this.
This Forum is not a division of Ebay or any other auction site.
Sales of items IT related I can understand and welcome but holiday Villas, cars and Bongos I don't think have a place in this forum.
The Internet is full of outlets for this kind of offering.
No disrespect is intended to anyone offering such items for sale as where the opportunity is presented, enterprising people will avail themselves.

PS to Bob Milton
Apologies for my 'not so plain' English  Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
petlew
Pro

S'funny, when the classifieds in PN forums was first introduced, wayyy back, I made a comment that it was full of cars, home goods etc etc. instead of computer related's I was told in the "nicest possible way" if I don't like it don't go there. Sounds like a full circle coming this way!!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

I think Chillypenguin made my point far better than I did, thank you. Can't really see the objection to posting PC etc. items for sale/disposal directly in C&H where they will get max exposure to people who might actually be interested in them. Moderators have the "power" to delete anything that shouldn't be there, so if someone sneaks in an ad for a grandfather clock etc. it could be summarily dealt with.
Posts for sale/disposal could be deleted by moderators after say 14 days (if an item hasn't been moved by then it probably won't be) if there's a concern that the forum will be cluttered up by this sort of post. From the experience of the current classified it probably won't be an issue anyway as the numbers are so small.

Not applicable

Theres no real need to delete posts, they eventually drop off the bottom anyway.
So long as the OP makes it clear that the item is no longer available, we can lock the topic to prevent further responses and allow it to disappear, or hope nobody will post requesting the item they have been told is not available any more.
Perhaps this would fit better, and there's no real reason why those wanting to tell us about their villa for rent etc can't do so in the Chit-Chat board?
PS. I'm in the process of sorting a 'Talk to the Moderators' board for precisely this type of discussion, so hopefully we'll have a better place to sort stuff like this in future pretty soon. Wink
petlew
Pro

Slightly surprised, there have been 430+ readings of the post, but "only" 14 votes!! I guessed it wouldn't generate a lot of interest, but perhaps that tells it's own story...

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I still think it should be IT related only.

However I do have a pair of Homer Simpson socks I received as a Christmas present......... Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There have been a total of 36 topics started in the current Classified board. In the imported board from the old forums there were 587 started in 4 years. That volume does not warrant a separate boards for normal and IT related classifieds!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)