cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quoting multiple replies / posters - is it possible now?

FIXED
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quoting multiple replies / posters - is it possible now?

On the old SMF we used to be able to insert quotes for multiple posts / replies.

So far on this new board all i've seen is a reply button on each post / reply. Does that mean we must make multiple posts to reply to multiple people or am I missing something?

7up

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES 10
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Quoting multiple replies / posters - is it possible now?

7Up thats what i thought as well , Crazy2  unless there is another hidden setting we have to find Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Adding multiple quotes is possible but it requires some DIY formatting. For example

@rongtw wrote:

7Up thats what i thought as well , Crazy2 unless there is another hidden setting we have to find Shocked

above is the quote from the post I replied to. Below

@7up wrote:

On the old SMF we used to be able to insert quotes for multiple posts / replies.

So far on this new board all I've seen is a reply button on each post / reply. Does that mean we must make multiple posts to reply to multiple people or am I missing something?

is a quote from the opening post. I added that by copying the text from another browser tab, highlighted it and clicked the "quote" speech button. Then positioned the cursor at the end of the quote, pressed Enter to start a new line and clicked the "quote" button again to turn off quoting. Finally went into HTML to add the "7up wrote" line.

So possible, but not exactly intuitive. Roll_eyes

David
7up
Community Veteran

Yeah I know it can be done that way... but when you're trying to reply to 5-6 people at once thats a pain in the grass.

I really thought that a multi quote thing would be as standard on any modern forum.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You can do all that fairly simply by having the whole post open in a separate tab (use the View discussion in a popup link just below the reply box) then copy and paste all the bits you want to quote into your reply box (it may not be whole of a post that you wish to quote).
Then add the 'somebody wrote:' bits in the relevant places. Add in your responses to each quote (or group of quotes) - then make sure the paragraph spacing is correct using the <return> key (note <shift><return> only gives a line break).

Once you've done that, highlight each individual "quote"  with your cursor and press the Quote marks button in the toolbar, repeat that for each "quote" - job done - no need to go to HTML unless you mess up the quote tags.

Edit: Multi-quoting is an enhancement we could request for the future, but all the bugs currently present to do with quoting need to be fixed first. I'm also putting together some tips on "quoting" to include the sort of thing I've just mentioned above, which I'll post later.

Tags (1)
MauriceC
Resting Legend

@Anotherone

Sneaky trick that. Grin  I'll like it and will try to remember it.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@7up wrote:

I really thought that a multi quote thing would be as standard on any modern forum.

That does not seem like an unreasonable expectation, but I've learned that this space is "different"! Roll_eyes

As indicated by AO human ingenuity can fix / circumvent any limitation given a bit of effort to achieve the desired outcomes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7up
Community Veteran

@Anotherone wrote:

You can do all that fairly simply by having the whole post open in a separate tab (use the View discussion in a popup link just below the reply box) then copy and paste all the bits you want to quote into your reply box (it may not be whole of a post that you wish to quote).
Then add the 'somebody wrote:' bits in the relevant places.

Tried doing all that on a mobile? lol

Anotherone
Champion

Fix

Yes I have Crazy3

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

The above is not really a fix.

A fix would show a number of the recent posts on the topic, with the ability to click some thing labelled "quote" adjacent to each, which would bring the text into the current reply window formatted as a quote.

Now I wonder where I've seen this before....? Crazy3

Anotherone
Champion

I agree, it's not "really" a fix, it's a "Solution" and that is going to be the case with many many things, not just to do with the way this forum works or doesn't work, but with a significant number of issues that are raised on the various boards here.