Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quote button missing in PMs?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote button missing in PMs?

Am I going mad, or has the quote button when replying to a PM gone walkabouts?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

25 REPLIES 25
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Quote button missing in PMs?

I hesitate to pass an opinion on your first question Bob. 😁Something does appear to have changed though? 

The 'quote' option is now an icon of a double quote that I don't recall seeing previously  - as in this reply.

The 'smilies' have also changed?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it would appear that your sanity is intact @bobpullen 

Edit:-

As @MauriceC says there is this now:

Quote option.Quote option.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@MauriceC wrote:

😁Something does appear to have changed though? 

The 'quote' option is now an icon of a double quote that I don't recall seeing previously  - as in this reply.

The 'smilies' have also changed?

🦍

Yes, someone appears to have monkey-ed around with them, and for me at least, to see the ones off in the distance to the right involves using the scroll bar which appears when you display the emojis.  The trouble with that is once you've scrolled right the 'status' emoji which describes the emoji under your cursor disappears off to the left - not good IMO.

Furthermore if you click the emoji button to display the emoji library, but change your mind and dismiss it, but then change your mind and decide to choose an emoji after all, when you click the emoji button again you don't see the same full choice that appeared the first time, but a single row of emojis which don't contain the commonly used ones, neither  do you get a descriptive 'status' emoji bottom left of the emoji area.

At least, that's my experience using Chrome.

ISTM another case of someone not sticking to the old adage "If it ain't broke ... don't fix it."  😉

PS  I just noticed the 'Rich-Text', 'HTML', 'Preview' buttons are also gone, now showing just the words 'Preview' and 'Body'

Edits:  typos

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Emojis in the pre-existing posts that I've checked, are still missing.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@RobPN wrote:

ISTM another case of someone not sticking to the old adage "If it ain't broke ... don't fix it."  😉

PS  I just noticed the 'Rich-Text', 'HTML', 'Preview' buttons are also gone, now showing just the words 'Preview' and 'Body

Preview just seems to give a view of the post as it will look once posted - not a lot of value IMHO

You can get the HTML view back by clicking the right hand 'three dots' Icon to expand the selection.  New HTML button top right.

I found splitting a piece of quoted text into separate sections for individual comment, nigh on impossible?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@MauriceC  Agreed, nigh on impossible. Almost works, but you can't insert/delete the grey quote lines as you could before.

As for the tiny emoticons, <insert preferred deity> knows what they look like on a tablet or phone screen.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@bobpullen 

It's also missing if replying to a post.

In addition the paste function does not work.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

While the quote button is still there, it only quotes a full post now you reply directly to.

It doesn't look like you can quote highlighted text anymore, something I used to do on a daily basis. There's a workaround by quoting the full post then trimming it down or editing the quote, although it's a lot of work.

As well as the old emoji's in the pre-existing posts which are missing, I actually miss the old emoji's although I'm sure I'll get used to the new ones even if they're a tad too small (At least for my eyes, maybe I need bigger glasses)

To finish, here's an emoji of an adorable cat 🐈

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

My guess is that Khorus have forgotten that many, many people still use computers/laptops and have forgotten or omitted to resize the emoticons/emojis to reflect this.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Found it! That is, the full quote. It has to be selected in the icons. My missing paste function is in here too. Have I been asleep and missed an announcement that these changes were being made or is this some sort of test?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Baldrick1 You haven't missed an announcement - there wasn't one 😉

John
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@jab1 wrote:

there wasn't one 😉

They're not going to tell the bug testers everything are they?

But they could have told us that we are the testers.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@jab1 wrote:

... many people still use computers/laptops and have forgotten or omitted to resize the emoticons/emojis to reflect this.

For about 24 hours after the change took place the emojis were larger than normal.

Mav
Fixes: 515

The HTML editor is abysmal (FF 69.0.3). It now shows in a new window box where just three lines can be seen making editing as a mod much more difficult.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still