Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed Community Site Forum Structure

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Proposed Community Site Forum Structure

Thanks Barry,
That is very clear and I now understand rather better how it is intended to work
Not applicable

Ian drew it up for us with his elite ASCII drawing skills. Ain't he a star? Wink
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb
Linux and Other *nix for some reason doesn't seem to sound right, how about Linux, and another sub forum of "Other Operating Systems".  Then depending on popularity you could later add in a sub forum of the Linux forum with say Ubuntu, Suse, Redhat etc?
I think the Linux crowd is very territorial, so having them posting in the same forum as Solaris may cause riots, and technically Apple Mac is a *nix (BSD).

Obviously it should be 'Unix and Unix-like Operating Systems'
Ought to be enough to keep the Linux plebs in their place..... Grin
--
/W
Assos
Grafter

What about Unix Like Systems, Including Linux?
hootiegibbon
Grafter

Quote from: Waldo
<snip>
Obviously it should be 'Unix and Unix-like Operating Systems'
Ought to be enough to keep the Linux plebs in their place..... Grin
--
/W

Waldo,
LOL  you sound like an openBSD user!

Seriously though a board for alternate operating systems should not bundle into an 'all in one but perhaps have child boards for each Linux,BSD,openSolaris  as each of these is very different by way of support advise, I speak Linux, I understand *BSD, and opensolaris I am just about picking up.
Jase
Assos
Grafter

That's something that the new structure would let us do should there be enough traffic to warrant further sub forums, but we have to be careful we don't add gazillions of sub forums that won't get any posts.
Personally, I think leaving it at one forum for the *nix OSes for now, then if we get lots of posts about a particular one, then it can get it's own sub forum...
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: hootiegibbon

LOL  you sound like an openBSD user!

Oh purleeeze!
$ uname -sr
FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p2

Seriously though a board for alternate operating systems should not bundle into an 'all in one but perhaps have child boards for each Linux,BSD,openSolaris  as each of these is very different by way of support advise,

As far as the proposed 'Linux and Other *nix' forum is concerned, I think it's fair to say that GNU/Linux has by far the nost momentum where desktop use is concerned; I think that'll be the focus of the majority of discussion. I agree with Assos - if there's sufficient discussion about the *BSDs, (Open)Solaris, etc. to warrant their own subforums, they can be created at some point in the future.
I speak Linux, I understand *BSD, and opensolaris I am just about picking up.

I'm reasonably fluent in Debian and FreeBSD. OpenSolaris I speak like Manuel from Fawlty Towers speaks English... Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi James et al,
Quote from: Assos
What about Unix Like Systems, Including Linux?

I think "Linux and other similar systems" sounds best.
I'm afraid, no I'm not really, I agree with Oldjim and others "Informal Discussion" should be called "General Chit-Chat" with the current description. You could add to the description - 'or just pop in and introduce yourself if you wish'.
I really think that the majority of new posters will want to remain fairly anonymous until they've found their feet, just wanting to post their problem and hoping for help to solve it. The suggested "Informal Discussion" with it's description may put people off if they feel they're supposed to introduce themselves before posting.
I think we also need to keep a (sub) forum for hardware. Where would I ask about a particular video card, or the connections on this old mother board I don't have a manual for, or is this ink any good to refill my HP cartridges?
Links to old archived forums - fine, no problem with that.
Nice if when you post another (adjusted) structure, you could pop it through your favourite word processor and change to a more readable font.
Cheers,
Chris.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I am of the same opinion as jmdlp and oldjim, that General Chit-Chat should be kept seperate, and should be at the bottom of the list.... Reason?  Newbies, (and occasional users of the forum) might be less inclined to read the "technical" forums, and post in the first available. As jmdlp  points out, there are a lot of people who just want to have a light hearted "to and fro" about putting the world to rights. (We know our place..... at the bottom of the pile !)  I think that if "newbies" have to scroll down a list of Thread titles, they may, just may, check some of them out on the way, and find the info they need, or at least get the "general gist" of "how to post a query" and where to post specifics.... There are a lot of sections in the present layout, that I check out every time I log on to the forum, just to see if someone has posted a problem that has affected, or may affect, me in my small section of the PN world. Often that is the case, and by reading them first, they tend to get filed away for future reference, then get on with the Chit-Chat..
By the way.... what is the need to change the title?  (If it ain`t broke...... don`t fix it)
MickKi
Grafter

The majority of the Linux related posts are bound to be from newbies who want to escape from paying the MSWindows tax, or are thinking of repurposing some old hardware.  I doubt that many of them are going to cut their teeth on OpenSolaris . . .
I expect that Ubuntu, Fedora and derivatives, and at a push OpenSUSE, will get more air time than all the rest put together.  Since most newbie questions are similar I would think that a single forum would make it easier  to follow/search topics and individual subforums would probably be an overkill.  Linux users do not really get territorial until they are enough experienced to become developers and start mud slinging as to who's code is sharper . . .  Roll_eyes
If there is significant demand we can always start subforums later on.  So, "Linux and Unix like systems" should do it I think.
Lucy
Grafter

Dare I suggest?... I think Security deserves to be highlighted as a Sub somewhere.
Not applicable

Agree with possum - security section would be good. Just as an aside, I might have missed this but I can't find a link to PUG - if there isn't one it might be useful to add this at the bottom of the home page.
Ianwild
Grafter

Don't forget to follow-up here if you have an opinion.
Ian
Not applicable

Cheers for the link to the new topic Ian.
For now I'll lock this thread in favour of our new one. It'll hopefull make it easier for everybody to follow whats happening.