cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy Issue

Metalguru
Grafter

Privacy Issue

May I respectfully suggest that when new members elects to join up to these happy community boards, the default setting for their e-mail address, SHOULD BE SET TO HIDDEN. 
Less experienced users may not check their settings, and may not wish to have their e-mail addy available to others.
Submitted for you consideration.
8 REPLIES 8
Liam
Grafter

Re: Privacy Issue

This sounds reasonable (and sensible!) to me.  Is it not currently set like that when you register via the Portal?
Metalguru
Grafter

It wasn't for me - perhaps others can give their experiences ?
holdtight
Grafter

Good call Metalguru hidden by default is by far the best option and im surprised this wasn't thought
of and changed during beta as there are many users who don't go into there profiles
Not applicable

This was pointed out at the very beginning of the Beta Community Site and several members agreed.  In light of this, I am surprised that it has not been acted upon.
LiamM
Grafter

Signed up my new account this weekend and can confirm it is showing the email address by default.
I reckon it certainly should not do that by default.
LiamM
Grafter

I'm reliably informed by Colin, that even though the option is selected - it doesn't make the email address public.
This SMF board has the mod which removes that functionality and instead gives users a little form using which they can send an email to other users.  So - not so bad after all!
Just need the label to read something like "Allow other users to email me via the Forum" or have the option removed.
Metalguru
Grafter

Quote from: LiamM
.............................. Just need the label to read something like "Allow other users to email me via the Forum" ..........

Huh - Now that sounds very much like a PM  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not quite because with PM's the user can choose whether to receive notification by by email of new PM's and the sender has no way of knowing if a notification email has been sent. With the email option, if the user has enabled this, you know an email has been sent.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)