Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority - Forum bugs have appeared

FIXED
John_Essex
Grafter

Re: Priority - Forum bugs have appeared

I think there's been a lot of "playing about" going on today. Roll_eyes

I noticed quite early on that when I looked at the "who is on line" at the bottom of the forum home page it showed just me (with no Avatar displayed) and one other. but there was over 50 on line.

They might have to recall the chief fixer back from his honeymoon Grin

John_Essex
Grafter

Yet another issue Sad

If I try and review a post I get a pop up box asking if I want to leave this page then the preview behind it.

Clicking no stay on this page clears the pop up but there is no option to go back to the original composition.

It's going from bad to worse !!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@HarryB - cannot find Liam or Louisa listed here so can you ask for me - is this the same code base we tested on staging?  We did not see any of these errors during the test programme - certainly not at the end of it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Anotherone wrote:

Well none of these were here earlier this morning, and the fly-out menu one is a major nuisance, the others will be especially on a mobile device, so if you can resolve these much more quickly I think we'd all appreciate it.

... earlier (yesterday) was eventually able to sign out after several attempts to click sign-out on the fleetingly-visible fly-out.

however just now was completely unable to get "sign out" to register (despite a number of successes in actually clicking on it).

perhaps this place should be re-named "Hotel California" ; )

"Relax," said the night man, "We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Townman wrote:

@HarryB - cannot find Liam or Louisa listed here so can you ask for me - is this the same code base we tested on staging?  We did not see any of these errors during the test programme - certainly not at the end of it.

@LouisaMartin @PlusnetLiam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Light bulb moment

townman wrote:

.......is this the same code base we tested on staging?  We did not see any of these errors during the test programme.

mtrinder wrote:

I published the text colour changes 20 minutes ago.

Anotherone wrote:

.....they have made some changes to the profiles of all the Community Veterans it seems.They have added the old Bright Spark logo to our displayed usernames. 

John_Essex wrote:

Shame that the little (bright spark) graphic I designed all those years .......... is no longer used

PlusnetLiam wrote:

It's not lost John! I'm looking to add in to all 'Vets' but having some issues

So I think it's fairly clear that it's not the same as we tested.

PlusnetLiam wrote:

.......we're very keen to maintain some consistency across our site BUT let me take it away - it's pretty simple for us to change and there's definitely enough call to do so. I'm on to it.

PlusnetLiam wrote:

....Just had a note from our dev team, they're going to work on making the text darker tomorrow.....

mtrinder wrote:

In response to the text colour of post text, we've changed this to a darker shade.

Oldjim wrote elsewhere:

Why was it possible to change the font colour when we were told it couldn't be done?

Deja vu perhaps?

PilgrimMike
Dabbler

Is the following also due to bugs? I tried to upload an image to add to my profile. However all I get is an empty album and the 'choose file' button back again.....or am I doing something wrong?
Anotherone
Champion

@PilgrimMike

The image issue is perfectly possible pilgrimmike, I'll have a go later to see if I can replicate it, uploading images has been a bit buggy, except when doing them direct to a post, which I'll try now.
Direct to a post certainly works.The Avatar image has to be a suitable format. gif's, jpg's & png's should all be ok, don't know about others (I'm sure someone else can say).

The best way should be via >My Settings >Avatars then use the >Upload an Avatar from below the existing default avatar. Then upload it  >From My Computer and click >Browse . Choose the image from the relevant folder, then click >Save Changes.  On the next screen adjust the framing of the Avatar and then click Save changes.You then get another screen for the thumbnail. Generally adjust it to the same and click >Save changes.That should do it. I've just updated mine (using the same one).

Secondly, do you mean you were trying to edit a previous post, or add a post to an existing topic/thread?

PilgrimMike
Dabbler

I got round the picture problem by doing this from my laptop rather than my Android (5) mobile.

Whoops, my mistake! I think the second of my queries resulted in my selecting the wrong box for input, i.e. 'post tags' instead of simply posting what I wished to add as a reply to my previous post....if that makes sense!

Anotherone
Champion

OK, I promised to post some of my tips that give a bit of a work-around to some of these current bugs. Remember that most are intermittent but occur most of the time -

1. The Fly-out menu from your Username/Avatar on the top right - if you are quick enough Huh then you can select the option you want, but be careful depending on screen size the menu may jump down a line or so and you end up selecting the wrong thing Shocked
    Two options are i) use one of the quick links at the bottom of the page, or ii) Right click and open your profile in a new tab. Then try the fly-out again, and this will allow you to try as many times as it takes to try and select the option you want without messing up your original tab.
  2. Selecting the 'Post options' or 'Thread options' menus on the RHS, the screen flies back to the top of the page - just scroll back down to where you were and you should see the menu - a highly irritating pain in the ....
  3. When making a post and selecting Preview or going back to Rich Text, you get the 'Leave page' warning - just click 'Stay on page' and carry on. I haven't experienced the Preview not working at all on here to date, but if that happens go back to Rich Text and check your post there before clicking Post.
  4. If you get an Authentication error when making a post, make sure you are on Rich Text, then highlight all and select copy (just in case you lose it all). Then try Refresh in the Address bar. You might get the 'Leave page' warning, try 'Stay on page' first, if it's still not working then 'Leave page' and then try, or you might need to then again Refresh in the address bar. You'll probably end up with a blank Rick Text box. You may be prompted for 'Autosaved content' but that may not be up-to-date when things got stuck, so paste in the Copy you made earlier instead. And hopefully carry on.
  5. If you get an Authentication error when trying to mark a Post/Topic Read or New, just go back one in your Browser and try again. The same applies if trying to Bookmark and probably anything else.
    BUT if it involves a post, remember 4 above. Repeat until it works - or give up until later Roll_eyes

Most of the above works on a mobile, but actions to get each may be slightly different depending on your device.
If I've missed anything out, I'll come back and edit this post.
If anyone has any better work-arounds, please post them.

If there are any other bugs, please add to the thread.

Tags (1)
PilgrimMike
Dabbler

Hi. I am using an Android 5etc. phone and Chrome browser. The Community Site looks pretty good, however the menu which appears on the rh of the screen, although it opens, is unresponsive if I try to select items. Screenshots attached. Thanks.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would also like to point out that when using the forum on a mobile device - my iPhone 6. Whenever I close the tab on the forum and coming back at a later date I have to sign in again. This happens despite clicking remember me or the equivalent stay logged in etc.

NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
PilgrimMike
Dabbler

As you say pictures can be uploaded to attach to a post. Feedback on screen is a bit puzzling though. Although the image uploads, a red cross, implying upload fail, appears to the left of the choose file button. As far as I can tell this allows deletion of the upload but this was not clear.
Anotherone
Champion

@PilgrimMike The Forum Login screen works fine for me on Androids with Chrome, but the normal fly-out menu for this forum (clicking Username or Avatar) has bugs now as reported earlier in this thread and will also affect mobiles.

The black Fly-out menu from the top Plusnet Navbar is for the main Plusnet site and it has bugs that have already been mentioned elsewhere, the workaround for that would be just to go to the main site and navigate from there.

@NorthEasterner The being logged out on a mobile device only seems to affect some mobiles and is being covered in this thread

Anotherone
Champion

@PilgrimMike

That red is so that you can delete that upload before you post - you changed your mind or selected the wrong file.